News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum email not working using SMF 2.0.19

Started by martiniturbide, May 18, 2022, 06:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martiniturbide

Hi

My forum version is on 2.0.19, but I can not make it send emails with a TLS:// mail server I got.
Is TLS support on this version?

It is supposed to send an email with the private messages, right? Because I'm using that to test if it sends email or not.

Regards

Oldiesmann

It will only send an email about new PMs if the user has chosen to be emailed about them (go to My Messages then Preferences -> Change Settings and set " Notify by email every time you receive a personal message: " to "Always")

I don't know if SMF supports the tls:// protocol like that. It does support the ssl protocol though (set the port to 465 and use "ssl://" at the beginning of the server address)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Both tls:// and ssl:// should work AFAIK.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Oldiesmann

It's been so long since I used 2.0 I don't remember (I upgraded most of my forums to 2.1 around Beta 4 or so)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

martiniturbide

Hi

On my profile I have "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message: Always". So it should send an e-mail.

If tls:// is supported it is not sending emails.

I noticed a strange behaviour on the "Maintenance - Mail - Settings" page. Sometimes it does not save the changes on the port, server name and other fields. I click "save", the page reloads and some settings are not set.

Is is something wrong there? access priviledges? Is there somewhere on the database where I can check if the settings are saved?

Regards

Oldiesmann

Quote from: martiniturbide on May 19, 2022, 03:28:26 PMHi

On my profile I have "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message: Always". So it should send an e-mail.

If tls:// is supported it is not sending emails.

I noticed a strange behaviour on the "Maintenance - Mail - Settings" page. Sometimes it does not save the changes on the port, server name and other fields. I click "save", the page reloads and some settings are not set.

Is is something wrong there? access priviledges? Is there somewhere on the database where I can check if the settings are saved?

Regards

They're stored in the smf_settings table (table name might vary if you used something other than "smf_" for the prefix) - mail_type (0 for "(PHP Default)", 1 for "SMTP"), smtp_host, smtp_password, smtp_port and smtp_username. Note that the password is base64 encoded for security.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: