[FREE/PAID] NO Upload Button & Improved Attachment User Interface Mod

Started by FrizzleFried, May 19, 2022, 10:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

BTW, about this:
Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 26, 2022, 10:42:08 AMWould it make sense to add an "INSERT ALL" option now somewhere that would do just that... insert all attachments one after another with perhaps a space between (or carriage return?)?
Could be done, but how many times would it be used in practice? People usually want to put specific images in specific places in a post. If you just want to upload the whole lot without caring where they go, there's hardly any point in inserting them. Might as well just leave them underneath the post, and people can click on any they want to see full size.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you move the draft/preview/post buttons up under the editor text box, it's not nearly as annoying when insert returns to editor.  And unless you attach a lot of images to one post (don't think I've ever seen anyone on any forum attach more than 2-3), it's not much of a problem.  If you do need to post a dozen attachments, putting them in columns as Ant has done above makes it easier to use.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Which is why I moved the post/preview/draft buttons to that location, and put the "add moar" dropbox straight after them, and rearranged the attachment previews so the last one added is at the top. Means you don't need to chase things down the page when adding new ones (big UX fail of the default setup). You can see the "add moar" dropbox and the newest attachments right them where you want them.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Antechinus on May 26, 2022, 05:35:25 PMBTW, about this:
Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 26, 2022, 10:42:08 AMWould it make sense to add an "INSERT ALL" option now somewhere that would do just that... insert all attachments one after another with perhaps a space between (or carriage return?)?
Could be done, but how many times would it be used in practice? People usually want to put specific images in specific places in a post. If you just want to upload the whole lot without caring where they go, there's hardly any point in inserting them. Might as well just leave them underneath the post, and people can click on any they want to see full size.

Probably true.  I was testing things out hence the reason I was doing that... I'm guessing that situation wouldn't come up all that often normally.

FrizzleFried

Oh... and when I get a chance to get my wifes phone from her,  I can test android... even though I absolutely loathe using it...

;)

Antechinus

I have an Android phone anyway, so you don't need to annoy your wife. I can make an online test site and flog Android to death with any available browser. :)

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have Firefox, it has mobile emulations in Tools > Browser Tools > Responsive Design Mode.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Yes, but there's no substitute for testing on the real thing. All Firefox does is give you various presets that match the screen sizes of mobile devices. It's not an accurate full emulation.

Arantor

Can't speak for the droids among us, but if you have a Mac you can plug in an iDevice to it and enable Developer mode for the console there.

You might, I don't remember (it's been a while), have to deal with the devil that is Xcode.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Antechinus on May 26, 2022, 07:12:10 PMIt's not an accurate full emulation.

No, it's not, but it's useful if you don't have a phone.

I think this is far enough along functionally that we should decide on best format for attachments feature, there've been a lot of variants posted.  Then maybe it could be packaged as a mod, and eventually integrated into core.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

I want to see what the team do with the existing coded before thinking about packaging a mod. Bear in mind that there are known bugs with attachment limits/counting, which are going to require some rewriting of the current code.

Sir Osis of Liver

I removed that from ui.  Don't think it's necessary, and doesn't work anyway.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Some people are going to think that letting members know what the limits are is useful. It seems like the polite thing to do, IMO.

Antechinus

@FrizzleFried - Edited files, with current state of play on my local test site.

TBH I can't actually remember what all the edits were (have not done a full compare against vanilla files) but this lot should work if copy/pasted into a vanilla installation..

FrizzleFried

No worries... something to play with.  :D  Thanks.  I do look forward to what this ultimately ends up looking/working like.

:D

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

FrizzleFried

Strange... this is the first time I've come across a post such as this where that statement doesn't apply.  I turned 50 a couple months ago...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FrizzleFried

I'll take it where I can get it these days.  50 with a 12 year old boy.  He keeps me young... and tired.

Arantor

Quote from: Steve on May 27, 2022, 09:12:44 AM
Quote from: Arantor on May 26, 2022, 02:54:05 PMBut I'm kinda old.
Says the guy in his forties.  :P

But I digress ...

I'm 38. But in web developer terms that makes me at least 80 years old, in no small part because I don't embrace the modern development approaches.

Advertisement: