Unread Posts

Started by FrizzleFried, May 31, 2022, 09:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

I've been keeping track of this issue as I was SURE there was an issue... and yeah,  I think there is.

UNREAD POSTS.

Can someone explain why clicking UNREAD POSTS last night showed a good 25 or so posts...

... I only read a couple.

Typically this morning I would see those unread posts I didn't click in to as well as newer unread posts this morning when I checked.... but nope... there were a total of 3 UNREAD POSTS total.

This has happened to me from day to day at least 3 times that I am aware...

I've actually had one time I popped in and there were NO unread posts showing... at all... even though it had been a few hours since I'd last visited.

Not sure what is going on with it,  but it sure seems to be not working exactly as intended from time to time...

Arantor

If you then click on "show all unread messages" does it then give you all of them?

SMF tracks unread "since your last session" which is the most recent stuff, because that's cheaper than looking up all unread across the site.

"All unread" is actually the second most expensive operation for most SMF instances and frequently amongst the most used.

We're back to "this is not (necessarily the best) good design but it is by design".

Advertisement: