News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

User Rights

Started by FredT, June 02, 2022, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredT

I thought I did see it in the settings anywhere but I am not sure anymore and I can't find it (Board rights/ User rights?):

I do have a main board with Sub-forums. Everyone can see the main forum and sub-forum on the main site.

I would like that users who are NOT registered or logged in, can only see the Main Board on the Forum entry site. They should not see any subforums listet there.

For example everyone sees that when logged in:

GERMAN MAIN BOARD
Sub-forum: chitchat, dies und das, off-topic, was sonst noch
ENGLISH MAIN BOARD
Sub-forum: chitchat, this and that, off-topic, whatever

When someone is not logged in, they should be able to see only this:

GERMAN MAIN BOARD
ENGLISH MAIN BOARD

How can I do this?

Thank you so much

Arantor

So when you go into the configuration for each board, you can set who can see it - just remove 'guest' from the boards you don't want visible to guests, e.g. the chit chat boards.

FredT

Yeah, I thought it must be simple like that :) Thank you Aranator!

geminiman

one way to stop guests seeing your boards is to go to admin , select FORUM , then select modify boards , nowa list of all your boards will appear and to the FAR RIGHT of of your screen you will see an option to MODIFY .select modify for the first board in the list. now you will see ALLOWED GROUPS .

the first group in the list should be GUESTS . if guests can see that board then guests must be ticked , meaning you allowed them to see that board whether intentionally or accidentally . but if guests is ticked untick it and then go to the bottom left side of the page and select MODIFY . you may have to do that for all boards listed .

alternatively go to admin again , this time to MEMBERS .select GENERAL PERMISSIONS . then you will see MANAGE PERMISSIONS and below it all member groups , the first should be GUESTS . to the right of that you will see MODIFY . select that , then ensure that guests have zero permissions by unticking any permission for guests . until they have zero permissions .in fact before you click on MODIFY just look to the option just left of that , it says PERMISSIONS and you will see a number from 0 to what ever , for guests if you dont want them accessing anything or doing anything that number should be 0 . so as i said above select modify (for guests group ) and untick everything and save .

but i think if you dont want guests seeing anything but the outside of your site , in essence the forum name and little else well the first option above needs to also be carried out on each and every board . unless you want to keep say a few specific boards open to guests .

Arantor

Quote from: geminiman on June 02, 2022, 12:26:04 PMalternatively go to admin again , this time to MEMBERS .select GENERAL PERMISSIONS . then you will see MANAGE PERMISSIONS and below it all member groups , the first should be GUESTS . to the right of that you will see MODIFY . select that , then ensure that guests have zero permissions by unticking any permission for guests . until they have zero permissions .in fact before you click on MODIFY just look to the option just left of that , it says PERMISSIONS and you will see a number from 0 to what ever , for guests if you dont want them accessing anything or doing anything that number should be 0 . so as i said above select modify (for guests group ) and untick everything and save .

That doesn't prevent them seeing boards and reading topics though. The only way to do that is with your first set of steps (which is a much better description than I gave it, btw!)

There is a third option, which is to lock out guests entirely and that's done from the options area of the admin panel with the 'allow guests to browse the forum' tickbox. Unticking that means no guest can get in to see anything except the login page.

Advertisement: