News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Gmail now requires OAuth 2.0 to send emails, work around?

Started by h_smith, June 24, 2022, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h_smith

I am running an older 2.0.x SMF with customization that I had someone develop over the years.

Is there a work around to continue working with Gmail and SMTP?

If not, can you recommend a free email service that supports SMTP?

Thanks.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

Quote from: h_smith on June 24, 2022, 09:17:00 AMI am running an older 2.0.x SMF

Regarding this....  Please upgrade to 2.0.19
There are security issues plus older versions do not support modern php versions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

h_smith

Quote from: Kindred on June 24, 2022, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: h_smith on June 24, 2022, 09:17:00 AMI am running an older 2.0.x SMF

Regarding this....  Please upgrade to 2.0.19
There are security issues plus older versions do not support modern php versions.

I would like to do this upgrade but I do not want to lose my customization. Are there any freelance SMF experts around doing upgrades for a fee? Thanks.

h_smith

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 24, 2022, 09:25:19 AMPossibly using an app password in gmail
hxxp:www.lifewire.com/get-a-password-to-access-gmail-by-pop-imap-2-1171882 [nonactive]

Does anyone have evidence that this is a work-around for the OAuth 2.0 requirement?

Thanks.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

AlanDewey

Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Steve

Quote from: AlanDewey on June 28, 2022, 07:28:47 AMwww.mailgun.com is free for 1,000 (?) emails per month.  Then $$
Where do you see that? The only pricing plan that I see that includes free emails is a 3 month trial.

Arantor

Their flex plan: https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048661093-How-does-PAYG-billing-work-

You pay nothing for the first thousand emails per month, $1 for message 1001 (minimum invoice) then it's pay as you go, $1 per 1000 emails.

If you start edging towards 25k emails a month, better plans exist.

h_smith

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2022, 09:06:25 AMTheir flex plan: hxxp:help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048661093-How-does-PAYG-billing-work- [nonactive]

You pay nothing for the first thousand emails per month, $1 for message 1001 (minimum invoice) then it's pay as you go, $1 per 1000 emails.

If you start edging towards 25k emails a month, better plans exist.

On the sign-up page there is no such option for the Flex-plan?

Steve

Thanks Arantor. Didn't see that option at the link given above.  :)

Arantor

Pretty sure the PAYG is the default approach? I don't have my login credentials saved to this device but I can take a look when I'm done with work since I use Mailgun myself.

Steve

No need to check. I just created an account so I know you're correct however there is one caveat. If you want to be able to send to more than 5 recipients you will need to enter payment information. There won't be any charge.

h_smith

There is a work around for gmail and OAuth 2.0 that I found discussed on another forum.

To work around this, you must do a couple things.

1) Enable 2-factor authentication for the gmail account in question.
2) Generate an application specific password.

hxxp:support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?authuser=2 [nonactive]

After doing so my SMF mail is being flushed out. It is successful. This solution works.

The link where I found the solution was here:

hxxp:hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38445 [nonactive]

I was going to set up my own email server but as it turns out this is not necessary.

Oldiesmann

That's the same solution vbgamer suggested earlier in the topic. Good to know it works.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Oldiesmann on June 28, 2022, 02:29:35 PMThat's the same solution vbgamer suggested earlier in the topic. Good to know it works.

App password not available for my google workspace. So enabled ( turned on ) less secure apps with smtp-starttls / ssl://smtp.gmail.com / 465 port with gmail credentials worked.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Advertisement: