News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[FREE/PAID] Holiday Icon Mod

Started by FrizzleFried, April 19, 2022, 10:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

Xenforo has either the functionality or a mod (I suspect the latter but I know very little about Xenforo) that seems to be popular with the user base of the forum I am on that uses Xenforo...

I will assume it's a mod.

Anyway,  the functionality is such that on holidays (I assume selectable by the admin),  some site icons change as well as a layer is added to the avatar to match the theme of the holiday... as well as some other little things like snow for xmas, etc...

I am,  personally, a fan of a the idea of a holiday mod like that... (and used Yandex Garland for 2.0.x)... but some of what the Xenforo mod does goes a LITTLE too far.  The layer over the avatar is ... well... stupid... IMHO.

Anyway,  Here is what it does for easter...

Index Icons:

You cannot view this attachment.

...and that is it.

For Halloween they were were little jack-o-lanters ... unlit and lit... etc...

I know some holidays add that layer to the avatar... (santa hat for xmas,  a green hat for st patricks day, etc)... but again... not a fan of this option.

Just changing the icons only would be cool... and hit up all the holidays (even the obscure ones).

I could see the date that each shows being selectable... while Easter would be cool to show between Good Friday and Easter Sunday (for example),  the St. Patricks Day SHAMROCK would be cool only to show on St. Patty's Day only (again,  for example).

I do know that the Xenforo version also adds some special effects for certain holidays (snow for xmas,  and lights, etc. on certain elements)... while others are just the icon.  Heck,  I could even see where that layer for the avatar would be of use by simply putting lights around the avatar for xmas... or skulls for Halloween, etc...

Anyone interested in doing this kind of mod?  I could see paying a reasonable amount for this kind of thing (personally) and wouldn't have a problem doing so.

EDIT: Looks like it's a mod... https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-holidays.5883/

FrizzleFried

Here is what the Xenforo mod does for Cinco de Mayo...

Diego Andrés

Wait till they find out that Cinco de Mayo is almost irrelevant in Mexico  :laugh:

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FrizzleFried

...a good reason to drink is all,  right?

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

FrizzleFried

Here are the effects on the Xenforo site for Independence Day (U.S.)...

....the fireworks are (of course) animated...

Diego Andrés

I could do this but would need to find an icon pack that has that many holidays/events or have someone design them.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

FrizzleFried

Advertisement: