Paid multi forum mod

Started by DenDen60, June 24, 2022, 02:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

I am looking for someone to do this mod.  Anyone interested? I am told that it is a 2 to 4 hour job.

Basically, it is a process by wich each new instance of smf that is installed share the same memberlist and the relevant information.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: DenDen60 on June 24, 2022, 02:22:23 PMI am looking for someone to do this mod.  Anyone interested?

Can you elaborate a little further please? Some details and possibly a few mockup screenshots will help.

Quote from: DenDen60 on June 24, 2022, 02:22:23 PMI am told that it is a 2 to 4 hour job.

May I ask who told you this? To develop something like this, at least if it is that I think it is that you are asking, it will take more time than that.

DenDen60

I modify the original post, but I can't tell you who said this. All I can say, is that this person is a knowledgeable and competent person.

Kindred

If the 2.0 multiform mod can be modified, I'd guess, 5-10 hours of work.

To write from scratch? 40+ hours of work, unless you are an expert in smf programming-- and even then 10+ hours
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DenDen60

Did this help? " Basically, it is a process by wich each new instance of smf that is installed share the same memberlist and the relevant information. " 

I can't really create a mockup as it is a question of sharing all relavant information associated with a user.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: DenDen60 on June 25, 2022, 11:02:54 AMDid this help? " Basically, it is a process by wich each new instance of smf that is installed share the same memberlist and the relevant information. " 

Yes, that helps.

Quote from: DenDen60 on June 25, 2022, 11:02:54 AMI can't really create a mockup as it is a question of sharing all relavant information associated with a user.

Mockups are not necessary in this case. I asked in my previous post about it, before you had edited your original post to add the description. Anyways, it is clear now, at least to me, as to what your request is about. Hopefully someone will pick this up for you.

Arantor

What is being shared, exactly?

The account sharing the members table, not so bad. Sharing avatars? Now you're dealing with not breaking the entire attachments system. Custom fields? Now you're also dealing with not breaking the entire theme system while you're at it. And user *preferences*? Stored uniquely per theme so the multiple sites now potentially need to share themes too.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on June 25, 2022, 11:20:18 AMWhat is being shared, exactly?

The account sharing the members table, not so bad. Sharing avatars? Now you're dealing with not breaking the entire attachments system. Custom fields? Now you're also dealing with not breaking the entire theme system while you're at it. And user *preferences*? Stored uniquely per theme so the multiple sites now potentially need to share themes too.
Ideally, I would want all the above :-). However,  to start I would be happy with just the members table as long as the registration process is done in the main instance as there, I would want a few custom fields associated with the country, state and city they live. 

Arantor

So you're sharing the members table and part of the themes table.

There is always the other approach where you don't *really* split the member base but let the site show different content based on different URLs like Dougie's split forum mod.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on June 25, 2022, 12:33:43 PMSo you're sharing the members table and part of the themes table.

There is always the other approach where you don't *really* split the member base but let the site show different content based on different URLs like Dougie's split forum mod.
Yes, but Dougie's mod, is   v2.0 Beta 3.1 and I don't know if he is still here. His last contribution dates to 3 years ago.

Arantor

And Dougie's mod doesn't work on 2.1. But I wasn't suggesting you tried it, I was suggesting whoever picked this up might take that route and use it as a starting point.

DenDen60

Looks like I need to go to Fiverr for this mod. :-( 

Dzonny

If you're expecting 2-4 hours for this to be done, then I'd say it's unlikely that you'll find anyone on Fiverr as well. But give it a try  8)

DenDen60

Quote from: Dzonny on July 05, 2022, 03:02:08 AMIf you're expecting 2-4 hours for this to be done, then I'd say it's unlikely that you'll find anyone on Fiverr as well. But give it a try  8)

I am not expecting anything, I was told so. ;-) 

Arantor

There is no guarantee that the person actually understood your request fully. I often find it difficult to comprehend what you're talking about a lot of the time, especially given the amount of context you seem to think we all know but is never actually communicated.

DenDen60

Quote from: Arantor on July 05, 2022, 07:58:41 AMThere is no guarantee that the person actually understood your request fully. I often find it difficult to comprehend what you're talking about a lot of the time, especially given the amount of context you seem to think we all know but is never actually communicated.
Bla Bla Bla Bla.

As usual, your defensive nature takes precedent. 

It did not occur to you that this person is indeed an experienced SMFer. 

Furthermore, I did not dispute any of the claims that were made that it would take more time.

The point is that no one wanted to take the task even if it said that I was willing to pay for the services. 

I would prefer to pay someone here than on Fiverr to encourage volunteers here. 

Arantor

No one wanted to take the task, why do you think that might be? Consider that the "experienced SMFer quoting you 2-4 hours" didn't seem wanting to take the task on, which is suggestive - after all, if it's only 2-4 hours, surely anyone can fit that in their schedule for money, right?

The only thing I'm defending here is my perception of reality vs your expectations. I genuinely hope you get what you're looking for at a price you're willing to pay.

I will say that I've never made it a secret that I don't think you're using the right tools for the project you seem to have, but if you're making it work for you, all the more power to you.

Steve

Be careful @DenDen60, you walked a fine line ... attacking other members will not be tolerated.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: DenDen60 on July 05, 2022, 08:28:01 AMThe point is that no one wanted to take the task even if it said that I was willing to pay for the services. 

I suspect that it might be due to that part where you were told that it is a 2 to 4 hour job. Maybe coders here think that that is what you are willing to pay for this, and not the real value which is much higer. At least that is how I see it.

DenDen60

Quote from: Steve on July 05, 2022, 12:10:47 PMBe careful @DenDen60, you walked a fine line ... attacking other members will not be tolerated.
Attacking! Really? 

Your sure it is not the other way around?  ;-)

Advertisement: