News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

E-mail notifications

Started by Liviu Lalescu, June 28, 2022, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liviu Lalescu

Hello,

What is the best way to send email notifications in SMF? PHP or SMTP?

Currently I am using PHP, but today I did not receive a notification on a message, and also many preregistrations of my forum users do not reach them.

Liviu Lalescu

I saw here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?msg=4129396 that SMTP is better than PHP. But when I configured for SMTP, it does not want to send test emails and in errors I get something like "SMTP server not responding".

What settings should I use for SMTP with TLS?

Costa

I've had that recently.

It was the webmaster e-mail that wasn't the same.

Using the same e-mail on both fields, all work fine.
Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

Liviu Lalescu

Nope, I did like that (from the beginning). I get the error:

"Could not get mail server response codes"

Liviu Lalescu

Found the problem Googling (and landing on an older SMF forum post): I need to write the SMTP server starting with ssl://, like: "ssl://lalescu.ro"

Liviu Lalescu

The page I found the stuff with "ssl://..." is: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?msg=3922467

I have one more question: I tried with "tls://..." and it works. May I keep it like this?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Liviu Lalescu

Thank you!

You might want to add some help there for beginners like me.

Steve

Help where? In the manual? If so, bringing this to @Illori and @Irisado's attention.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Liviu Lalescu

Maybe better directly there, with a question mark "?" and when you hover above it it will show this information, or maybe add more items to the combo box:

PHP (default)
SMTP
SMTP with SSL
SMTP with TLS
SMTP with STARTTLS.

and "SMTP with SSL" means that internally SMF will consider "ssl://domain.com".

Advertisement: