News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is there a limit to the number of events that can be added to the calendar?

Started by DragonLady, June 28, 2022, 03:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonLady

I've been loading the calendar on my forum up with events I think will be of interest to my group but have noticed that some do not show up on the monthly pages. If I link it to a topic, the topic seems fine & the calendar listing appears in the upper left corner, but not on the calendar, even if I set it to list, to display the day, the week or the month when the event should appear.

If there is a limit, can I disable it?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DragonLady

I can show a url; but the calendar does show events...just not all the events I've added. For instance: July 15-17 should include "Black Canyon Quilt Show" but it's nowhere to be found.  The topic it's linked to is off-limits to non-subscribers, but it does show the listing, with a link. However, the link just leads to the list, and the event is not on the list. :(

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=calendar;viewmonth;year=2022;month=7;day=01

Kindred

seems that your entire calendar is not visible to guests...

Anyway, yes - IIRC, there IS a limit to how many events will display at one time in the calendar box. but I just added 8 events to my calendar for June 30 and it shows all of them in all views

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=calendar;viewmonth;year=2022;month=6;day=28

How many lines are you getting?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DragonLady

I didn't think about guests not being able to see it; sorry.  I can make it temporarily visible for troubleshooting.

It seems the most I'm seeing on a calendar day is two, but maybe three in some instances.

I'd like to display a lot more; although it wouldn't be necessary to display more than the title of each one.

ETA: Clicking on the title of an event in a thread absolutely should take one to the details of the event on the calendar, even if it's not otherwise visible.

DragonLady

My calendar is viewable by guests for now.  I'll turn it back off in day or two.

Kindred

for July 15 and 16, I see the Black Canyon Quilt show (twice)
 (highlighting mine)
Events:
Sacred Threads

Floris United Methodist Church 13600 Frying Pan Road Herndon, VA 20171
Black Canyon Quilt Show
All day
1800 E Pavilion Pl, Montrose, CO 81401
Black Canyon Quilt Show
All day

Events:
Sacred Threads

Black Canyon Quilt Show
All day
Black Canyon Quilt Show
All day
Слaва
Украинi

DragonLady

Hmmmmm....

I did go through and clean out some stuff.  I removed some holidays previous to 2020, but when I went back to the calendar, I didn't see any changes. It's possible I just needed to refresh the page.

DragonLady

Nope, that wasn't it.  ???

Quote15
Events:
Nancy Had a Notion History Exhibit

Sacred Threads

Curiouser and curiouser....

DragonLady

If I view the calendar as a guest I can see the entries, but not as admin.

live627

Quote from: DragonLady on June 28, 2022, 02:39:35 PMI can show a url; but the calendar does show events...just not all the events I've added. For instance: July 15-17 should include "Black Canyon Quilt Show" but it's nowhere to be found.  The topic it's linked to is off-limits to non-subscribers, but it does show the listing, with a link. However, the link just leads to the list, and the event is not on the list. :(

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=calendar;viewmonth;year=2022;month=7;day=01
I can see those events if I click on the 13th but not the 15tth

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=calendar;viewlist;year=2022;month=7;day=13

list mode

DragonLady

Strange...I can't see them as a subscribed member, but I can as a regular member.

I'm very confused.

DragonLady

It's not just one event. :(

I can view a bunch more I've added if I visit as a guest, or login as a regular member.  But when I login as a subscribed member many, maybe all, just disappear, and more go away when I log in as admin. :(

There's clearly something missing between the board permissions in the admin panel and real-life user experience.

I don't know how long this may have been a problem with the calendar as it never affected us 'til now when I'm trying to change the focus of the community toward more real-world events.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to:
Add a pretty much unlimited number of events to the calendar (and view them on the calendar pages after).
I'd also like other members to be able to add their own events (and also view them on the calendar pages after).
Link or unlink them to the topics (as we can now).
Edit any event as admin.
Purge old events after they pass to save database space.  Archiving the old threads might be nice, but not necessary.

It would be doubly awesome if this was added as a regular board feature instead of an add-on or a mod as I hate using them.  I prefer to just the forum out of the box, and not have to worry about third party plugins that will probably disappear at the next major update, anyway.

Kindred

Well, database space is not a real issue, since an event probably only takes a few bytes...

enhancements to the calendar probably won't be in core - since smf is a forum, with a calendar tacked on.

But most of what you list can already be done
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

An event in 2.1 is 22 fixed bytes, plus ~30 of timezone, 2+ for location and title, per event (so, say, 80-100 bytes for a typical event) plus indexes rounded up to nearest boundaries of 16KB (usually around 32 bytes per event, but collectively rounded up to nearest 16384 block anyway, so whether you have 1 event or 100 you'll probably only consume the first 16384 in index space)

Maximum of 65535 events through lifetime of site in MySQL, not including holidays.

DragonLady

Quote from: Kindred on June 29, 2022, 05:43:28 AMWell, database space is not a real issue, since an event probably only takes a few bytes...

enhancements to the calendar probably won't be in core - since smf is a forum, with a calendar tacked on.

But most of what you list can already be done

Well...theoretically it can be done; and I thought it could be done in fact.  But truth is I can't access or even see my own event unless I either logout completely or go directly to the database.  I really wanted to make calendar events visible only to admins, and subscribed members, but as it is they can be seen by guests and registered members but disappear to those the events are intended to benefit. :(

I'm sure I can find a work-around.  But overall, I'm so happy with the way most of SMF functions that discovering the calendar doesn't respond to the permissions settings as intended, and admin can't edit or delete some listings through the admin panel is disappointing.

Kindred

ok, you must have done/installed something that breaks the functionality

because, I just tested all of this
- as an admin, I can edit every event added to the system, regardless of who added it.
- as an admin and a regular user, I can see all events added to the system
(actually, there is no permissions limitation on seeing events based on membergroup -- with one exception - you can only see LINKED events which are in a board that you have (at least) read access to. Since admins have access to all boards, there is no reason that any event would ever be hidden from an admin.)

index.php?action=admin;area=managecalendar;sa=settings
Membergroups allowed to view the calendar
Membergroups allowed to create events
Membergroups allowed to edit their own events
Membergroups allowed to edit any events

You can register an account on my test site.   
Regular members are allowed to create events and edit their own events.
Global moderators are allowed to edit any event

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com
Слaва
Украинi

DragonLady

Awesome! I'm just leaving now but will be back -probably tomorrow- to check out your test site and see if we can figure out why my board isn't doing things the way it seems it should. :)

DragonLady

Okay; so I lied about getting back here as real life intervened, and I haven't had time to go through everything step-by-step as I had planned.  But the beauty of a forum is being able to spread things over a few days, right? :) Also, typing it out is very much like explaining the problem to a duck.  8)

Most of the events I've added to the calendar have shown up on the monthly views and popped into place on the front page -both with the little edit pencil- exactly as anticipated.  A current example, using my admin account:

Front page, List view, and July monthly view shows this listing:
QuoteParis Haute Couture Week
July 02, 2022, 3:00 PM – July 06, 2022, 3:00 PM (July 03, 2022, 12:00 AM – July 07, 2022, 12:00 AM CEST)
Paris, France
and I can open it to change the time or dates or delete it just fine.  It's not linked to a topic, but it is within reach for edits.  This is important to me, as I anticipate my board getting busier in the coming months, and people registering for a free account just to add links to their spam has happened before.  But I do want earnest, good faith members to be able to add events as they are aware of them.  I can't be everywhere, and it's a great way for even the newest members to contribute.

However, the aforementioned "Black Canyon Quilt Show" does not show up on either the list view or the monthly view. 

There is, however, two instances of it in the database, which may be part of the problem.  There was three, but one of them was linked to a topic, which I've since deleted. I'm thinking the double instance might be causing some of the issues, so when I have time, I'll put the board into maintenance, make a backup, and delete one of them.  I can't explain why it simply appears as multiple instances to guests or to regular members.  It seems to me that since the calendar permissions are set the same for every group except the guests, I should be seeing the same thing when I login under different accounts with different privileges...unless I've messed them up somewhere. I guess I should check that and come back.....

>>wanders off mumbling to herself<<

ETA: Two instances do show up when I view the board as a guest.
ETA2: Two instances do show up on the monthly view page when logged in as a brand-new user with no posts. This doesn't change when I opt into or out of the various groups, but I haven't tried any combinations.

DragonLady

I double checked the permissions for each member group, but still can't figure out why the admin account is unable to see some of the calendar entries made using it but can see others. As admin, I'd like to both see & be able to edit every entry, regardless of who posted it.

I was going to delete the duplicate entries for the Black Canyon Quilt show mentioned upstream, but then decided to wait to see if they show up on the front page, and if so if they appear to every member group, and if admin can edit it.

Advertisement: