News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[PAID or FREE] Post Scheduler Mod

Started by bayonetbrant, July 06, 2022, 12:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Paid?
I'm willing to pay some, but don't have much of a budget.  However, if I'm paying for the mod, I would ask that anyone else using it also chip in for the creator / coder

Version
we're on 2.0.x

Description
I'm looking for a pretty simple mod that allows us to schedule a date/time that a post should appear.  This will allow us to schedule some regular discussion topics / polls that we want to run at regular intervals without having to manually create them every week / month.
It will also allow us to synchronize discussion topics that'll point to Wordpress posts when those article publish, as well.
Note that this would only apply to starting new threads and not to replies within an existing thread

Permissions
This would be limited to admins.  I don't think we'd want to try to create a special permission that could be granted to others.  I think as long as the admins can do it, we're OK.

Feature Set

I'm going to resist the urge to put on my business analyst hat and not go into a full UI mockup on this!  8)

Ideal state:

1.  User navigates to the board where they want to create a new topic.

2.  User selects "new topic" and post editor appears.

3.  User types a new post, including subject line, message icon choices, etc

4.  At the bottom of the post, in addition to the preview/post buttons, there would be a button to "schedule" that would give a date / time picker to allow for the post to show once that date/time is reached.
- - - - Time can be in 15-minute increments to make the UI easier.
- - - - Date picker could be a calendar pop-up with optional typed entry.

5.  "Schedule" button should ONLY appear if this is the first post of a new topic

6.  Once the new topic message is scheduled, will appear at the top of the topic list for any admin users with the designation {Scheduled} before the topic title. (appear above any pinned posts) and the {Scheduled} label should be dropped before the post goes live.

7.  Admins have the ability to edit to the scheduled post, to include the date/time it's scheduled.  Admin also has the option during editing to hit "post" for the post to immediately appear, which would over-ride any previous schedule for that post

8.  No one else should see the posts at all until they hit their scheduled time and appear to everyone that can see that board/topic (once the post is "live" then normal permissions should apply)

9.  Once a post that starts a thread is live, the option to "schedule" should no longer appear.  The post can be edited, but the ability to schedule it is lost b/c it's already live.

Error messages:

Cannot back-date posts. ("Post must be scheduled in the future")

If someone is editing an already-scheduled post, and the scheduled time passes, treat it like a back-dated post with the same error.
(example: post is scheduled for 10am but at 955am admin starts editing it and hits 'schedule' at 1005am, the system will see it as a back-dated post for 10am and give the error)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

That should be enough detail for someone to get started on the functionality.  If you've got questions, let me know.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Note that we are running the "Lazarus" mod from SychO and would very much like to keep it for our site as it's got a fantastic mobile adaptation.  Ideally, this new mod would work with Lazarus just fine, but if we're going to pay for it, then it definitely will need to work with that mod.

Thanks!

vbgamer45

I have a free one not the best UI as it is a backend mod in the admin area not on the existing create post screen but you can check it out at
https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=172
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

thread necro!

just wondering if anyone's got a post scheduling mod that's not the one from SMF Hacks that they can point me to.

thanks!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2023, 02:29:51 PMthread necro!

just wondering if anyone's got a post scheduling mod that's not the one from SMF Hacks that they can point me to.

thanks!

Personally I haven't seen any other such mod.

vbgamer45

If I ever had time for 2.0+ versions of the mod I would redo it to have  the post date option on the create topic page itself. And then use post moderation to hide the post and then with a task enable it when the date of the post is timed to be.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Steve

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2023, 02:29:51 PMjust wondering if anyone's got a post scheduling mod that's not the one from SMF Hacks
What's wrong with theirs?
DO NOT pm me for support!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steve on January 22, 2023, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2023, 02:29:51 PMjust wondering if anyone's got a post scheduling mod that's not the one from SMF Hacks
What's wrong with theirs?

throws a variety of critical errors, and the dev over there has said that he's got other things taking up his time and won't be able to work on it

bayonetbrant

to be clear - absolutely -ZERO- ill will toward vbgamer / SMFHacks

if the post scheduler tool worked for what I needed, I wouldn't be asking here.

I just need something that works b/c we'd likely use the hell out of it to sync our content across multiple platforms

That's why we're even willing to pay for some work on it; it's not a big budget, but it's not zero

We can fund a pretty nice date night out for someone willing to work on this, to a restaurant where you'd probably get stopped at the door if you were wearing shorts :)

Advertisement: