News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Non display of email permissions

Started by Mike66, July 07, 2022, 07:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike66

I would like to remove the following two options from the registration form if possible?

Allow users to email me: (+ checkbox)
Allow the administrators to send me important news by email: (+ checkbox)

Is there a right way of doing this without upsetting future upgrades/patches?

Cheers
Mike

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Mike66 on July 07, 2022, 07:21:43 AMIs there a right way of doing this without upsetting future upgrades/patches?

Those options have to be removed manually from the file(s). There are no build in on/off settings for those in the smf a.f.a.i.k. That said, whenever you overwrite your forum files, the changes will be undone and you will have to redo them again. Regarding patches, it could be an issue if the removed code of edited files are affected by the new version. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The first one, I don't actually believe is there by default to begin with. (EDIT: Nope, actually it is - My memory failed.) I would actually be curious to know what is the reason you want to do this?
Simply removing it from registration does not stop users from accessing the setting, and gathering consent at registration is a good move anyways.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Mike66

It's simply a case of not wishing to ask potential members to have to consider consent to anything really, removing the need to tick/untick boxes, which is all too common in today's world.

There is no need for emails to be sent between members, they can use the PM system to contact each other in private. And I only use their email address for account verification purposes.

To be honest, it's not important, it just niggles me.

Mike66

This is a topic that might be better in the Chit Chat section?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Mike66 on July 07, 2022, 10:36:04 AMIt's simply a case of not wishing to ask potential members to have to consider consent to anything really, removing the need to tick/untick boxes, which is all too common in today's world.
By default I believe they are unchecked, and that is in my personal opinion the best possible situation.
No one is forced to consent to anything, they are offered the option to make a decision they can reverse freely later on. Not offering that option could easily lead to confusion for the users on what exactly is assumed consented.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

The "allow people to email me" part is gone in 2.1.

The "allow admins to send me newsletters" is somewhat important if you have EU residents on your site because consent is a thing you have to get if you use newsletters.

Mike66

I fully understand that, it is simply not required in my case as I don't send newsletters, I don't have a need to contact customers outwith the forum platform.

Thanks for your replies.

Mike

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You probably can hide them from the registration without it affecting anything in the foreseeable future if you really want to.

But even though you say you aren't considering sending any emails, it would still make me as a user much more likely to accept your terms and conditions otherwise when I'm able to tell you in advance that if you should change your mind I'm not interested in newsletters and I know you are likely to honor my decision since SMF is designed to do that ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: