News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Database error

Started by baldur2630, August 03, 2022, 05:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldur2630

I uninstalled the Mod and with phpMyAdmin, delete the offending field. It made things worse now when I try to load the forum I get this:

Unknown column 'b.passwd' in 'field list'
File: /var/www/writing/Sources/Subs-Boards.php
Line: 1051

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.19, while your database is at version 2.0.18. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

There was no field b.passwd, just a field passwd

What next (so much for upgrades, it was fine until I upgraded from 2.0.8 ro 2.0.19 and it's been working perfectly for YEARS)

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kindred on August 03, 2022, 10:31:50 AM(and the "remove data associated" only appears/works when the mod author set it up in the first place).

That will work anytime upon mod uninstallation, regardless how the mod author sets it up.

Quote from: Kindred on August 03, 2022, 10:31:50 AMDoug, Steve...    when this happens, just give them the command (as above, here)

That is fine if the mod causing the issue is still in use. But if the mod is uninstalled, there is no point to keep its data still in the database. That will clutter the database unnecessarily. In that case, the best course of action is to remove/drop the unused fields and any other data left behind in the database by the uninstalled mods.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 11:10:10 AMI uninstalled the Mod and with phpMyAdmin, delete the offending field. It made things worse now when I try to load the forum I get this:

File: /var/www/writing/Sources/Subs-Boar

Are you sure that you deleted it at the right database? Can you make a screenshot of the structure of the boards table and upload it here? The error indicates that said field is still present and it does not have a default value.

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 11:10:10 AMThere was no field b.passwd, just a field passwd

b. is not part of the field name, it is an alias that stands for the smf_boards in the sql query.

baldur2630

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 03, 2022, 11:35:15 AM
Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 11:10:10 AMI uninstalled the Mod and with phpMyAdmin, delete the offending field. It made things worse now when I try to load the forum I get this:

File: /var/www/writing/Sources/Subs-Boar

Are you sure that you deleted it at the right database? Can you make a screenshot of the structure of the boards table and upload it here? The error indicates that said field is still present and it does not have a default value.

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 11:10:10 AMThere was no field b.passwd, just a field passwd

b. is not part of the field name, it is an alias that stands for the smf_boards in the sql query.
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 03, 2022, 11:35:15 AMAre you sure that you deleted it at the right database? Can you make a screenshot of the structure of the boards table and upload it here? The error indicates that said field is still present and it does not have a default value.
Yes, if you tell me how to do it. Can I put in the picture (jpg) as an attachment?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 12:13:43 PMYes, if you tell me how to do it. Can I put in the picture (jpg) as an attachment?

Select the prefix_boards table, click the Structure button and make a screenshot of the page. Then upload it here as an attachment.

baldur2630

I must be going senile. I see no place for an attachment on this reply
YouTube Video
Image (but it needs a URL)
Link
email
Table
and that's it.

Why is nothing simple?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 12:29:34 PMI must be going senile. I see no place for an attachment on this reply
YouTube Video
Link
email
Table
and that's it.

Why is nothing simple?

Actually, it is very simple. But you have to click the Reply button. You can attach images where it says: Attachments and other options.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Kindred

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 03, 2022, 11:30:43 AMThat will work anytime upon mod uninstallation, regardless how the mod author sets it up.

Sorry, but that statement is incorrect.
The option to remove database info depends entirely upon how the mod author ADDED the info in the first place -- and many mods do NOT do it "correctly" and therefore do not have a remove option offered.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

baldur2630

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 03, 2022, 12:48:49 PM
Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 12:29:34 PMI must be going senile. I see no place for an attachment on this reply
YouTube Video
Link
email
Table
and that's it.

Why is nothing simple?

Actually, it is very simple. But you have to click the Reply button. You can attach images where it says: Attachments and other options.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Sorry, but there is no option for an attachment on my screen, just the libe below it. MY forum has the attachment option. Perhaps on this one you need to be more than a Newbie to attach anything.

Baffled - site down and still no answer in sight.

Tonyvic

Don't use the 'Quick Reply', use the 'Reply' button. :)  :P

baldur2630

Hmm, seems it's a good thing I didn't upgrade to V2.1

Here's the picture. The passwd field was the one after  redirect.You cannot view this attachment.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kindred on August 03, 2022, 12:50:15 PMSorry, but that statement is incorrect.
The option to remove database info depends entirely upon how the mod author ADDED the info in the first place -- and many mods do NOT do it "correctly" and therefore do not have a remove option offered.

Are you really sure? Because to my knowledge, whenever a mod adds to the database, be that a new field to an existing smf table, or a complete new table, and said mod is uninstalled, the aforemantioned option is always being displayed.

Our Customizing Team, always checks the submitted mods and makes sure that their authors add the required/proper installation code, among other things. So there is 0 risk of mods not having the correct installation code.

baldur2630

QuoteSo there is 0 risk of mods not having the correct installation code.
Looks like you missed one, but that isn't my problem. My problem is how to FIX IT!

Arantor

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 03, 2022, 01:50:00 PMAre you really sure? Because to my knowledge, whenever a mod adds to the database, be that a new field to an existing smf table, or a complete new table, and said mod is uninstalled, the aforemantioned option is always being displayed.

Sir Osis might not be completely sure, but I am. There are multiple ways this can go down without the package log having the relevant information in it - older mods ported forward from 1.1 to 2.0 didn't necessary get re-reviewed to have the correct code added, and anyone who does a manual install and runs any of these installers manually is guaranteed to not have the entry in the database.

Be wary of talking in absolutes, because you'll find one way or another you're probably not right.

Especially since the rules about null columns haven't changed in SMF - but they did in MySQL some years ago.

This is also irrelevant to helping the OP and the multiple sets of discordant instructions really haven't helped either :(

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 03, 2022, 02:52:26 PMLooks like you missed one, but that isn't my problem. My problem is how to FIX IT!

Unfortunately it looks like something of the code got left behind after you uninstalled it - assuming you uninstalled it and didn't just hit delete (which would remove the installation package but not the code for it)

So let's start there, what exactly was clicked on or done to try to remove the mod?

baldur2630

I went into Package Manager. There was the Board Password mod. One option was Uninstall. I looed for anything else, - there was nothing, so I hit Uninstall.

I got a message Success. I assumed it had worked - it hadn't.

I think it ewas during the upgrade from 2.0.18 to 2.0.19 that it turned to brown stuff. I was running that for years with never a problem AND it's been upgraded from 2.10 I think and I religiously updated every new release until 2.0.18, because I saw 2.1 was out and I've been busy with other things.

Arantor

No, it's honestly not the upgrade from 2.0.18 to 2.0.19, it's a change of other parts of the server (specifically the database), that enforced a 'strict mode' that never used to be there.

If you go to Package Manager right now, what do you see? Because right now the error you're getting implies that the code is still present even if the database entries aren't.

baldur2630

I had a Eureka moment. I reinstalled the package. It made NO difference.

I then clicked on the advanced button and reverted it to 2.1.18. I then uninstalled it again but this time I got a prompt to delete the data as well (I didn't the previous time).

It seems to have fixed the problem. I created a board and it worked and the error messages have gone.

I can live without Password Protect Boards!

Arantor

Glad you got it to a place you're happy with - if you decide you do want password protected boards again, I'm happy to help you get it working correctly.

Advertisement: