News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

undefined function shell_exec() error

Started by landyvlad, August 01, 2022, 02:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

Most members (including me) experiencing an issue where - if they are logged off and go to the forum URL they get an error:
undefined function shell_exec()

refer attached screenshot
You cannot view this attachment.

It is still possible to login, but its somewhat frustrating.

Once logged in there don't appear to be ongoing errors - but it reoccurs every time some one is not logged in and goes the the forum URL.

That in turn could ause people to assume toe h=]frium is non working and not attempt a login.  It's not a great look.

Anyone else had this / know how to resolve it?

Oh one member appears to be having deeper problems but unsure if related?

QuoteI found that by ignoring the error on log-in I could read stuff, but I can't get some posts uploaded - 404 Access to this resource on the server is denied
Still happening this morning.
Edit - The above proves that I can post stuff, but it is the adventures & ride-outs section I'm having difficulty with.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

landyvlad

error log snip attached
You cannot view this attachment.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Arantor

Select "disable host name lookups" in the server settings area.

landyvlad

Thanks mate. I had made no changes to that so unsure why/how this problem cropped up in the first place?

I've made the change now and it seems to be OK for me at least :)

Arantor

Sounds to me like you got ninja-upgraded to PHP 8.

In earlier versions of PHP, the function was listed as existing but not callable if disabled, now it's listed as not defined entirely if not callable. shell_exec is often restricted because them evil hax0rz use it.

landyvlad

Ok thanks for the explanation mate.  :D

And problem has fully resolved following the recommended fix.

Advertisement: