News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Unable to upgrade from 2.0.15

Started by baldur2630, August 17, 2022, 04:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldur2630

I first thought of upgrading to 2.1.2 but after a couple of hours with all the Token BS, I deleted it.

I tried the Large update to go to 2.0.19. I downloaded it, but the Package Manager says it can't find it and I should upload manually. I downloaded the package and pasted it into /var/www/forum/Packages, but Package Manager doesn't see it.
I then tried to upgrade to 2.0.16 and got this:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Test failed /Sources/Subs.php

What is the problem? Can it be fixed?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, now - I really truly hope you understand you are basically not saying anything meaningful here that we could actually work with.

The 2.1.2 upgrade, What Token BS ?

Large upgrade and package manager - It doesn't work that way, a large upgrade is never done through the package manager.
Please look at the wiki on upgrading. Upgrading SMF

Test failed, you only tell the file that failed but no details on what package exactly, and what the edit is that fails. I'm assuming you are speaking of the package update from .15 to .16 in which case there are multiple edits to that file included in the update. On a general level, a failed test usually indicates that the package manager can not find the exact code it is looking for, because a mod install has already changed the area of code for some other purpose.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

baldur2630

1. Every couple of minutes no matter what I'm trying to do I get a Token out of date and again nothing short old logging out and logging back in will fix it. There's security and overboard. I don't have enough years left to put up with this.
2. There are NO mods involved. I gave you the file it has a problem with /Sources/Subs.php Test Failed.

What more do you want from me or is it 'always blame the user'?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, I'm out. Not enough coffee in me yet for this. I told you already, there are multiple edits to that file - Just naming the file alone does not help identifying the issue. Good luck.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 04:55:07 AMI tried the Large update to go to 2.0.19

You do not need to upgrade to 2.0.19 first in order to upgrade to 2.1.2. You can upgrade directly.

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 04:55:07 AM. I downloaded the package and pasted it into /var/www/forum/Packages, but Package Manager doesn't see it.

That is not the correct way to perform a manual upgrade. Please see the link posted by Lex above, on the subject.

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 04:55:07 AMI then tried to upgrade to 2.0.16 and got this:

Error in Package Installation

That means that you will have to apply the changes manually to the mentioned file(s). Click the icon next to the error message and it will tell you precisely what changes to do.

If your goal is to upgrade your forum to 2.1.2. you should skip upgrading first to 2.0.19, as mentioned above, and do a direct upgrade. Something to note, all the 2.0.x mods and themes are not compatible with 2.1x.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 06:43:22 AMWhat more do you want from me or is it 'always blame the user'?

You should show more respect/appreciation and less attitude for those that are trying to help you out.

Such an attitude will not endear you to those that are providing support here, be that staff members, or community members.

Just a friendly advice.

baldur2630

I solved the problem. I've been with SMF since v1.x and Obviously I've been with SMF too long.

I deleted the forum I'll try something different. Tired of overboard 'security' and having to give my life story to get a bit of help. Help consist of ANSWERING questions, not asking more so you can blame the user.

Goodbye SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No one was blaming you of anything, and no one was trying to avoid answering your question on what is wrong.
But in order to actually be able to do that, we really do need you to answer our questions.
We can not know, what you don't tell us.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 08:26:27 AMHelp consist of ANSWERING questions, not asking more so you can blame the user.

That is true, but what to do when the questions are very vague and not clear at all, like in your case? And not only this topic is like that, but all your topics from what I have seen. You do not even bother to help us help YOU.

Quote from: baldur2630 on August 17, 2022, 08:26:27 AMGoodbye SMF

Goodbye.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 17, 2022, 08:30:33 AMWe can not know, what you don't tell us.

That is why we have Mentalo :D

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=580449.msg4108862#msg4108862

Steve

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on August 17, 2022, 07:30:37 AMYou should show more respect/appreciation and less attitude for those that are trying to help you out.
Warning issued for the OP even though he 'may' not be back.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

ROTFL....   so, you failed to follow simple instructions, and then fail to give us the information we asked for because we NEED it in order to help you debug the situation -- and you think we are "blaming the user"?

Well, you are partially correct.
The situation you describe does not occur on ANY OTHER SYSTEM - which means that the issue is something specific to YOUR configuration.  We absolutely would have worked with you to figure it out, if you stepped back on the attitude and actually answered our questions.  Since you have chosen to go a different route, good luck to you -- and good luck to whoever supports your next choice of systems.

Incidentally, the error you describe about "tokens" is not something that SMF generates.... if instead you meant PASSWORD, then the problem is likely to have been a bad configuration on your part for www/non-www or subdomain versus sub-directory - but, again, since you were unable to even answer basic questions, we'll never actually know now, will we?

:P Tschau
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Kindred

Interesting... I didn't know that...  and I've actually never seen that error generated, despite having tested 2.1.x for a long time ---   so, my statement above still mostly stands. The OP misconfigured something which caused a repeating error - but gave up rather than work with us to determine and fix the cause.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: