Cannot find the option to backup database in SMF 2.1.2

Started by bobbbruce, August 12, 2022, 05:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbbruce

I have just successfully upgraded from 2.0.19 to 2.1.2 Everything seems to work ok. I am looking around the Admin area but just cannot find any task that allows me to backup the database, as I could in the earlier version. Has this been removed now? I expected to see it in Forum Maintenance | Database | etc. (see screenshot)

I note that the advice around upgrading said not to rely on an admin backup but use a phpmyadmin backup is that why it has been removed? I cannot find any documentation to say it has been removed.

Sorry if I am missing something obvious

Dzonny

As far as I know it has been removed because it was not adviced to be used for some time now. The best indeed would be to use phpMyAdmin directly to make a db backup.

Sir Osis of Liver

Admin backup was one of the first things that got the hook going from 2.0 to 2.1.  It was unreliable and didn't work on most servers, but failed without error, so you thought you had a good backup but you didn't.  PMA exports may also fail dumping large databases on some servers, but at least you'll know.  Cpanel has a backup utility that usually works.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 12, 2022, 12:48:29 PMIt was unreliable and didn't work on most servers,

not quite accurate.  It was not reliable, because it failed on SOME (not most) servers.  However, Backup is one of those things that really needs to work 100% of the time - so even the relatively small number that it failed on meant that it was safer for us to remove it and depend on the admin's site CPanel or manual process.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, I don't have any statistics, but it never worked on any forum I tried it, including some with small databases.  In any case, the margin of error was too great to recommend anyone using it.  I've had similar problems with pma, so I'd assume it was more a server issue than anything wrong with the backup feature.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: