News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SPAM/Security question

Started by RicochetPeter, August 22, 2022, 09:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicochetPeter

Hi guys,
as of late, I receive a lot of error messages in the log like the one you can see in the screenshot.
You cannot view this attachment.

Should I be alarmed in any way, is this a way of trying to steal member info from the forum?

Dzonny

Hello there.

Are you using latest 2.1 available version? Any mods installed? From the quick look I'd say it's related to one of the mods.

Sesquipedalian

Short answer: No, you don't need to be worried about this. Nothing bad happened and you can ignore it.

Long answer: What happened was that some hacker tried and failed to find a vulnerability in your site's software. Specifically, that weird string full of curly brackets and backslashes was probing to see whether the hacker could use some devious tricks to execute arbitrary code on your server. SMF is hardened against such attacks and therefore deflected it, but also logged an error about it just in case it was something you might need to know about.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

RicochetPeter

RicochetPeter

Quote from: Dzonny on August 22, 2022, 09:50:01 AMHello there.

Are you using latest 2.1 available version? Any mods installed? From the quick look I'd say it's related to one of the mods.

I'm on 2.1.2
What exactly makes you think that it's related to a mod?

Diego Andrés

Quote from: RicochetPeter on August 22, 2022, 02:02:22 PMI'm on 2.1.2
What exactly makes you think that it's related to a mod?

Nothing suspicious just some go-to questions to rule out possible sources of issues and the more information the better.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Steve

As Ses has provided the information, I would clear the log and see if the messages continue.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: