News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Registration Error

Started by FredT, August 18, 2022, 07:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredT

I do have two problems with registrations atm.

1) When a new user register at the forum:
He/she has to accept the terms and rules by clicking "I accept all terms and rules".
He/she gets to the site to choose a Usernmame, email address, Password, Gender, and Verification Captcha, 2 security questions he/she can chosse from

Then he/she clicks "Registration"

Now the new user gets a blank page. I tested it in Mozilla and Chrome.

2) I am logged in as Forum Administrator
- The forum is set to manually confirm new users
- I see a new user registered by seeing the blue number "1" in my admin tab
- I choose Accept - no email (all fine, new user is in, Notification number 1 gone from Admin Member approval"

or I choose
- Accept new user - send email
Now I get a blank page as an admin and the number 1 remains in my admin menu and does not go away anymore and stays (I deleted even cache, no cure)
The empty site directs to:
https://www.testforum.de/index.php?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=approve;type=approve

The user is registered and he/she can log in. But the user got no email.

What could the problem be?

Thank you

Doug Heffernan

Is there any error logged in either, the admin error log page or server error log?

What mods do you have installed?

FredT

There are no error logs as far I can see because error loging was off.
I activated error login again and will test it with a fake account.

I have these mods installed:

Profile Moderator Management v3.1.1.
Topic Solved v2.0
Stop Forum Spam v1.3
Message Bookmarks v0.9.3
Affiliates System v1.0

All mods installed without errors.

My Forum is v2.1.2

I just registered a test user. The plank page after "Register" leads to:
https://www.testforum.de/index.php?action=signup2

The user is waiting for approval in the admin menu now

I accept user with "Approve and send email"

As an admin I get a blank page again leading to:
https://www.sepforum.de/index.php?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=approve;type=approve

In error log I get:
index.template.php (Line 508)
Type of error: Undefined

<li class="floatright"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=help">', $txt['help'], '</a> ', (!empty($modSettings['requireAgreement'])) ? '| <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=agreement">' . $txt['terms_and_rules'] . '</a>' : '', ' | <a href="#top_section">', $txt['go_up'], ' &#9650;</a></li>

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: FredT on August 18, 2022, 08:10:10 AMThere are no error logs as far I can see because error loging was off.
I activated error login again and will test it with a fake account.

If you see any errors, post them here in full. What about the server error log? Was anything logged in there pertaining to this?

Quote from: FredT on August 18, 2022, 08:10:10 AMI have these mods installed:

Profile Moderator Management v3.1.1.
Topic Solved v2.0
Stop Forum Spam v1.3
Message Bookmarks v0.9.3
Affiliates System v1.0

Can you disable/uninstall the Stop Forum Spam mod temporarily, and see if the error will still happen?

FredT

Ok, good idea. I will disable Forum Spam and retry

--------------------

PS: I completelly removed the "Stop Forum Spam" Mod.
I logged out/ in and out again.

Then I made my new test user again.

-He got no email after registering
-He got the blank page again after clicking "register"

I reloaded the blank page and I got:

An error has occurred
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

I go back to "Sign up"/ Register page again and would have to fill out all again would would lead to a double registration because the user is alrady in my admin menu and waits to be approved.

Doug Heffernan

Did you check the error log? What is your php version? When did this start to happen, today? What was the latest change/modification made to the forum prior to this happening?

FredT

The error seems since day 1 of installation

There is no error code in the logs, except this:

<li class="floatright"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=help">', $txt['help'], '</a> ', (!empty($modSettings['requireAgreement'])) ? '| <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=agreement">' . $txt['terms_and_rules'] . '</a>' : '', ' | <a href="#top_section">', $txt['go_up'], ' &#9650;</a></li>

I can maybe try to copy a fresh index.template.php over it beacuse I did some changes to the template, but not in Line 508 or anywhere near this line.

But it seems I get this line 508 error codes en mass, basically with every page reload

Doug Heffernan

Try to undo the changes you did first. If you have not made other manual edits to that file, or said file has not been modified by a mod, you can overwrite it with a fresh copy.

Quote from: FredT on August 18, 2022, 09:04:14 AMThe error seems since day 1 of installation

There is no error code in the logs, except this:

I can maybe try to copy a fresh index.template.php over it beacuse I did some changes to the template, but not in Line 508 or anywhere near this line.

But it seems I get this line 508 error codes en mass, basically with every page reload

Kindred

when you say "blank page" -- do you mean a completely white page with absolutely nothing?

If so, then look at the server error logs. Talk to your host if you can't find it... a white screen of death means a php code failure on the server side and should be logged by the server.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FredT

Hello Kindred,

yes, absolutely white page, no errors.
This is only on the registration page and on the approve page out of the admin menu and when I approve newly registered members. I did also remove some more mods now, no cure.

I did copy a new original index.template.php in (I did some changes there and maybe the error came from there) = no cure.
I copied original and out of the zip new Admin.php, Admin.template.php in, also Errors.template.php cause they may have so changes = no cure.
Same errors.

But all other forum pages are fine.

I did check my forum files and I get a different file version here. Not sure it is related:

Login.german.php    your version 2.1.0    current version 2.1.2

In my Admin menu I activated error login now and from yesterday to today I had over 50 errors logged in different php websites I did never do any changes in it. Every time I load another forum page (Admin menu or a subforum) I get a new error entry.

All errors somehow refer to "Help". I can post it very qick:

Admin.template.php (Line 32)

==>32:    
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=helpadmin;help=live_news" onclick="return reqOverlayDiv(this.href);" class="help"><span class="main_icons help" title="', $txt['help'], '"></span></a> ', $txt['live'], '

8: Undefined index: help

Admin.php (Line 562)
==>562:       
' . sprintf($txt['admin_main_welcome'], $txt['admin_center'], $txt['help'], $txt['help']),

Login.template.php (Line 389)
==>389:    
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=helpadmin;help=securityDisable_why" onclick="return reqOverlayDiv(this.href);" class="help"><span class="main_icons help" title="', $txt['help'], '"></span></a><br>

Help.php (Line 72)
==>72:    
'name' => $txt['help'],

Errors.template.php (Line 69)
==>69:    
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=helpadmin;help=error_log" onclick="return reqOverlayDiv(this.href);" class="help"><span class="main_icons help" title="', $txt['help'], '"></span></a> ', $txt['errorlog'], '

Kindred

those are SMF error logs...   We need the SERVER error log.

However, your issue eith the missing help index sees to suggest that $txt['help']='Help'; is nto listed in your language files.
Go ahead and add that line to the end of your index.english.php language file (and all other index.language files, using the correct phrase)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FredT

Kindred, thanks.

I had some little progress.

I deleted index.german.php and index.english.php in Themes/default/languages and replaced them with original files.
The ton of errors are gone now.

Why? I did translate a word in the index.german.php and switched the word from "Berechtigungen" to "Rechte" (Rights) so it does not mess up the admin view. The file did not like this translation and I have no clue why. Not important - its back to original again.

Now I do have only one error left in my Admin New User Approval. I see there is still one user to approve, but I did approve this testuser yesterday already. The testuser got a blank page and no email (but was clicked to send an email). The testuser is in and can post after he reloaded the white page. The white page came up with an error from smf then "Token wrong please retry" - something like that and whatever it wants to tell me.

The Admin Approval still hangs there. I attach two screenies.

I checked error files on my server too. There is this:

[Fri Aug 12 18:08:54 2022] [core:info] [pid 18248:tid 139865495254784] [client 54.36.148.211:24045] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/test/forum/robots.txt
[Fri Aug 12 23:14:28 2022] [core:info] [pid 17921:tid 139864989193984] [client 17.121.112.247:50472] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/test/forum/robots.txt
[Fri Aug 12 23:32:47 2022] [core:info] [pid 17921:tid 139865152730880] [client 17.121.113.185:37580] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/test/forum/robots.txt
[Fri Aug 12 23:32:47 2022] [core:info] [pid 17921:tid 139864980801280] [client 17.121.113.32:42736] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/test/forum/robots.txt
[Sat Aug 13 01:10:51 2022] [core:info] [pid 42237:tid 139955242256128] [client 34.76.89.25:36208] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/stest/forum/robots.txt
[Sat Aug 13 01:12:18 2022] [core:info] [pid 42453:tid 139954998998784] [client 34.76.89.25:43120] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/test/forum/util/login.aspx

I still have to check a new user can register now. I will update the post when the error is still there, or gone.

PS: I run on PHP 7.4
PPS: Test user still gets registration error and gets a white page on:
..... index.php?action=signup2

Kindred

Well that missing file is easy to fix,just create a robots.txt file,it can be blank for now.

But the blank white page should be generating an error in the log. It's strange that it doesn't.

Token wrong is apparently a new thing in 2.1.x..   need a dev type to suggest why you are getting that.

Just quick...are you using www or not www for your site?  And what is the site configured to use (is it different?)
Слaва
Украинi

FredT

The website can be reached by www and/or without www
As far is can see in the server settings it is not configered to exclusively use www

I copied a blank robot.txt in the webserver root. Checking this will remove one more error.

I tried to register a new user again:

I agreed to the rules and terms
I put my username, password in, did the captcha verification and security question

It leads me again to my testside:

https://www.testsite.de/index.php?action=signup2  (not a live site - just an example)

The page is white/ blank and does not redirect or load anything anymore.

I relaod the browser page and get:

An error has occurred
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

When I go back I have to put my username, email and stuff in over and over again

Now when I log in as admin to my site I see the user registration and can approve it manually. But I get a blank white page too from the admin menu:

https://www.testsite.de/index.php?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=approve;type=approve

There is no email sent to the user but when he/she logs in, he/she could login as a registered user.

The server log files now spit out this (todays log):

[Sat Aug 20 01:07:05 2022] [core:info] [pid 72944:tid 140614167406336] [client 65.108.103.106:43068] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/sepfor/forum/robots.txt
[Sat Aug 20 03:36:56 2022] [core:info] [pid 73115:tid 140615244097280] [client 54.36.148.35:36033] AH00128: File does not exist: /usr/www/users/sepfor/forum/robots.txt

The robots.txt is in the webroot, maybe a cache thing it still reports the error? No idea and robot is not important right now.

But the blank page - maybe it is a provider thing?
The error I get after reloading the registraion page is:

"Your session timed out while posting."

Can it be php error related? Something not set in the php settings?

I attach my webserver php settings. Sorry it is in German, no way to switch this console to english.

The word "AUS" means "OFF"
I do not use an .htaccess

Kindred

Nope, session timeout is almost always related to either a subdomain mismatch or a or www versus non wwW mismatch (which is actually a subdomain)

So, it looks like you have your forum configured to use www.
 You should add a .htaccess  Redirect to force www.

Even aside from that, it looks like your domain, testsite.de is configured to the forum subdirectory of your account - which is an unusual setup...  if not configured correctly,  that could be causing issues as well.

I am traveling today and tomorrow... but if you are willing to pm me an admin login for your smf, I'll take a look at your configuration on Monday.
Слaва
Украинi

FredT

Thank you so much Kindred. I sent you a PM

FredT

I did put a brand new htaccess with www redirect in my root.

Site does always redirect to www no matter I put my domain name with www or without www in.

But whatsoever - no cure.

Blank page after new user registration is still happend. Site does not send email to new user.
Admin gets New User Registration Count (1). When I click "Accept with email" I get a white blank page.
I hit reload
User gets  approved, no email is send either
New User gone from "...have to approve list" but number 1 stays in admin menu
When I delete the new user from the member list again the number one also disapears again from the admin menu

I was thinking to copy fresh files over my root folder but I am not sure this will lose all my already registered users.

All strange...

Kindred

So, I took a look --   and strangely, I can't find any obvious problems in the configuration...

At this point, yes, loading a fresh set of FILES is the correct thing to do.

1- this will not affect your database at all.  All users and posts and other content will remain.
2- read the FAQ https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
do not replace Settings.php or the avatars or attachments directories. do not run upgrade.php
just load clean files (and use the tool to remove any hooked mods)

3- once you load a clean set of files. test. if it works, then that's excellent.
install a mod? then test again.
if it fails in the same way, at any point, let us know.
Слaва
Украинi

FredT

Thanks Kindred,

will do.

I will post the results.

FredT

Yesssss!

Thanks alot for the help Kindred.

I installed a new set of files and the registation is working again like it should.

What I have todo now:

Install German language
I will get my 2 mods back and see everything is working
Install my theme css and php files

When new errors occure, or the same one then I can maybe pin it down from there

Advertisement: