Is it possible to set a forum as a content only poster & hide a forums members

Started by Planman, August 20, 2022, 07:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman

Is it possible to set a forum as a content only poster & hide a forums members

Hi

Is it possible to set up a forum as solo poster and hide the forums membership number ?

I am a new member, and have had some basic past experience on using certain types of pre set up free forums, like the old style yahoo group type forums... and I have or do use or visit one existing set up SMF forum that have some familiarity with.

I have also in the past used a host service to set up some websites , BUT I have never tried to set up my own type of forum before.

So I am considering possibly trying to set up a SMF forum provided I can do so in a way that I would hope to do so, if it is possible.

But I will need to do some indepth study to try to understand certain things... and at the moment I have only quickly browsed thru some of the descrptive information... but I am overall pooly familiar with certain things... such as I am not sure what a version 1 or 2 may involve or what maybe possible to display if one sets a forum up.

I had in the past set up a yahoo groups forum and was able to set it up so that I was the only person to post any content on it...but allowed people to join it to read the content.

The forum showed how many members that I had, or  it showed the number of members on the forum.
and as far as I was aware, you were unable to hide the membership number.

So before I start trying to research or read up further or consider trying to set up a SMF forum..

What I want to ask however  is.... IS it possible to set up a SMF forum as a content only provider and to be able to allow members to view the content if they join or sign up to read it, but maybe also be able to hide the members details or number of members from being shown. at least before anyone signs up.

I also as another option.. I  may consider allowing the content to be viewable at least on a front main page...or allow prior content posts to be visible... but may still want to hide membership numbers.or also hide members seeing other members details...

From looking at some SMF forums that I have come across most seem to show the content to anyone browsing the web who finds such forums...and most have shown how many members that had joined.

I have found one SMF forum that does seem to hide the membership number.

I think I came across something that suggested that members details is a form of default part of
the software, so that it will in most cases show such details or information.

BUT I suspect it maybe possible for those who now how to possibly realter some of the programming
to allow one to hide such details...

BUT when I read, some of the SMF online manual to do with memberslists...

It initially says ....Provided that you have the appropriate permissions

QuoteProvided that you have the appropriate permissions, you will be able to see the Members entry on the Main Menu or in the Info Center

QuoteView All Members

Provided that you have the appropriate permissions, you will be able to see the Members entry on the Main Menu or in the Info Center. Clicking one of these links will bring you to the View all Members page, the default page for the Members List section. There is also a Search for Members page in this section, where you can search for members registered on the forum.

On the View All Members page, you will see the list of all the members registered on the forum

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Memberlist

I wonder if anyone could advise me on my questions.

Thank you in advance

Regards

PM

Sir Osis of Liver

Short answer is yes, you can do all the things you've mentioned with SMF.  Current version is 2.1.2.  You can find info you need to set up a forum here.  Post any questions in 2.1 Support.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Planman

That could be like Very good news or music to my mind Sir Osis ! if I am able to do the things that I have asked about..

Very Much appreciate your quick reply / answer. I will try to note what you say.

and thks for confirming that I need a version 2.1.2

Can I also ask, would you know if is it likely easy to achieve, such as are their easy options that you can select to say turn off showing members details / numbers or do you have to be able to do some specilist programming to alter certain things from any original default settings.

I will hopefully look forward in trying to set up such a forum.

Many thanks and best regards.

PM

Kindred

Yes, you can do nearly everything that you asked with standard permissions.

The other stuff can be done with minor edits to the templates.

However I would argue that what you are essentially trying to do is create a blog not a forum
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Planman

Thanks for confirming that information Kindred,

I am not at the moment sure what may be classed as various types of forums , groups or blogs
or what exactly each may offer... as I suspect there are many variations on each.
I would have to think in more detail what various options may involve.

and I am not totally sure as yet exactly what I aim to do.

I may be trying or doing some testing and may create one of two forums to try out some ideas...
I may say want one to drive some interest in my chosen topic...with certain initial free content.
that may later include further content each month or so.

and may want to consider say another  option where I may create if possible as a charged forum... that may contain certain more valid / important content for members and weekly or monthly added update content that members maybe willing to pay for.

Steve

I'm going to mark this solved for now. If you have further questions, mark it unsolved and ask away. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: