News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ouestion to understand: Moving Topic

Started by FredT, August 25, 2022, 10:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredT

I have to main categories.

A
B

A user posts something in B. I do not like the post there and move it to A.

Now I have the topic still in B marked as "moved", but I can also answer there.

I would like the message in B has the state of:

1) Not beeing able to get posts (e.g is locked)
2) Or is just deleted in B and only be seen in A

Is this possible with settings?

Thanks alot

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, you can not answer to the original topic in it's original location.
You can either a) Answer in the "Moved" notice topic, or b) the original topic, in it's new location.
You can move a topic, and not make any record of it in it's original location - This is an option while moving the topic.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Don't moved topic automatically forward the user to the new location in 2.1?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2022, 10:24:03 AMDon't moved topic automatically forward the user to the new location in 2.1?
By default yes, and I believe this is the source of confusion behind this question.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Steve

Uncheck 'Post a redirection topic.' when moving a topic to not have any indication the topic was ever there.
DO NOT pm me for support!

FredT

Thank you all. I will try Steve's suggestion

PS: Can not find settings.

But as far I can see there is no referal anymore a topic was moved. Maybe this is just a temp thing until other postings follow?

If so, this is fine as well

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The 2 options checked in the attached picture are the relevant settings.
You see them when you are moving a topic.

First one means a "MOVED:" topic will be posted in the original location,
Second one means the "MOVED:" topic can not be opened, but instead will redirect directly to the new location.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Steve

Unless the OP is moving topics via checkboxes. Then that screen doesn't show. It just asks for a confirmation and does it, as you well know.

@FredT - If you are moving topics using the move option at the bottom of the topic, you should see the image Lex showed. Take note of the bottom dropdown if you do not uncheck 'Post a redirection topic.'
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: