News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

A few questions before updating the forum to SMF 2.1

Started by jsx, August 31, 2022, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsx

Hello.

I will want to upgrade the forum from SMF 2.0.19 to 2.1.2. I know this tutorial: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading - but I have such questions:

1. Should I uninstall the mods before updating the forum? I am asking this because I have made changes to several files and there are failures when uninstalling these mods. Before uninstalling these mods I have to implement the suggested codes via SMF?

2. Will all modification data be retained in the database after the update? I mean when I reinstall these modifications on the SMF 2.1.2 forum, will I have all these settings?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: jsx on August 31, 2022, 02:15:17 PM1. Should I uninstall the mods before updating the forum? I am asking this because I have made changes to several files and there are failures when uninstalling these mods. Before uninstalling these mods I have to implement the suggested codes via SMF?

It does not matter if there are failures when you uninstall those mods. And no, you do not need to implement the suggestions anymore in this case. You can simply uninstall them ignoring any error messages in the files. When the files of your forum will be overwritten by those from the large 2.1.2 upgrade package, all the left over code from the uninstalled mods will be removed automatically. But if you have made manual edits to the files and you want to keep them, then you might want to make a copy of the edited files.

Quote from: jsx on August 31, 2022, 02:15:17 PM2. Will all modification data be retained in the database after the update? I mean when I reinstall these modifications on the SMF 2.1.2 forum, will I have all these settings?

Yes, provided that you do not remove their data from the database by checking the Remove all data associated with this modification box upon uninstalling a mod. If you check the aforementioned box when uninstalling a mod, all the data that that mod has added to the database will be gone.

Hope it helps.

Diego Andrés

Quote from: jsx on August 31, 2022, 02:15:17 PM1. Should I uninstall the mods before updating the forum? I am asking this because I have made changes to several files and there are failures when uninstalling these mods. Before uninstalling these mods I have to implement the suggested codes via SMF?

Uninstalling mods is not required realistically so that can save you some unnecessary time.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

jsx

Thank you Doug for the detailed explanation.

Quote from: Diego Andrés on August 31, 2022, 07:42:09 PMUninstalling mods is not required realistically so that can save you some unnecessary time.

Good to know, thank you for this information.

Dave J

Quote from: Diego Andrés on August 31, 2022, 07:42:09 PM

Uninstalling mods is not required realistically so that can save you some unnecessary time.

My opinion is that mods should be uninstalled if they don't have a 2.1.2 version. The reason I say that is that installed mods can leave unwanted tables etc in the database, by removing all mods prior to upgrading then you stand a better chance that 2.1.2 will not hiccup on some now rougue table.

I know a few of you disagree but this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it  ;)
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

Except that many mods don't remove their data,  even when uninstalled....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Dave J on September 02, 2022, 05:11:06 AMMy opinion is that mods should be uninstalled if they don't have a 2.1.2 version. The reason I say that is that installed mods can leave unwanted tables etc in the database, by removing all mods prior to upgrading then you stand a better chance that 2.1.2 will not hiccup on some now rougue table.

I know a few of you disagree but this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it  ;)

That is a very good way to go about such an upgrade. It is very thorough and I do the same as well.

Advertisement: