News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

I might be screwed - upgrade to 2.1.2 failed

Started by tsedgar, September 01, 2022, 04:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsedgar

I have a website on GoDaddy. We use SMF 2.0.19. I wanted to look at 2.1.2 upgrade. I have multiple backups of the site before I do any upgrade but in this case, I forgot to actually go out and backup my MySQL databases. Ran upgrade.php and it failed at 50%. Realized my error after the failure. I don't have any offline DB backups and only have backups that are stored on GoDaddy.

When I did the upgrades to 2.0.17, .18, .19, etc, I merely did it in the Package Manager as it was minor risk. I did pull some files down after the fact but that was only so I had something while I worked to get things working again. I even checked with GoDaddy on a full backup option and of course, they have a known issue and those aren't working as designed.

I guess my question is, do my old backups on GoDaddy offer me any hope of getting things working? I reviewed the site and see a lot of great advice. I wish I had reviewed more of the details before I jumped in but I am where I am and can't go back in time. Thought I would see what might be possible.

Thanks - Tom

tsedgar

One other thing. When I accessed the Forum admin area, it said we were on 2.0.19. When I looked at GoDaddy, it said we were still on 2.0.15 so when I look at the backups I have taken, even one I know I took right before an upgrade to 2.0.19 and any since then, they all report as 2.0.15.

Doug Heffernan

Check out the database and see if there are tables in there with backup_ prefix. If you checked the backup database option before running the upgrader, the whole database is backed automatically with the backup_prefix.

What was the precise error that you got during the upgrade?

tsedgar

I do see a number of items with backup_. I ran into the error last night and I was on another computer when I was working on this. I will try to find it in my search history and post it here. After that I was scrambling to get things working again and forgot to take a screenshot.

Sir Osis of Liver

Before you do anything else, back up the current database, either with phpmyadmin or cpanel backup.  Do it at least twice, confirm that the dumps are same size.  If you have a complete backup set (at least 63 tables) you can revert the db to before upgrade.  A failed upgrade can sometimes (not always) be continued from where it failed and complete successfully.

And move to a better host, GoDaddy is  :P .
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

tsedgar

OK, I looked at my Google history and found this. I think this is the error because I searched for it and the two hits I got were for some trying to use fake users or something like that. Didn't match my situation though. As soon as I got this error, everything halted. I feel like such a bonehead. It is a homebrew club website. I usually backup multiple times and make sure I have everything covered. Just totally brainfarted on this one and I wasn't even drinking a beer. I even forgot I had daily backups in my file manager but they updated this morning. I didn't even think to grab that last night. Sheesh.

Out of range value for column 'id_member' at row 3

tsedgar

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 01, 2022, 05:58:29 PMAnd move to a better host, GoDaddy is  :P .

Yeah, I already moved all my personal stuff off GoDaddy. I was already planning to get on to something else because GoDaddy isn't good. I haven't looked yet but I have used Hostgator, domain.com [nofollow] and another site I can't recall but it was years ago. Definitely looking for other options though.

Sir Osis of Liver

Not very helpful without knowing which table was being upgraded, id_member occurs in multiple tables.  If you have complete backup_ tables, best bet is to drop original tables, rename backup tables, run upgrade again.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Hostgator is as bad as GoDaddy.  Have a look at Crocweb and ICDSoft.

- R. Waters

tsedgar

Ok, I can't believe it but I fixed it. I somehow thought to do a full site backup last night after I had issues. That still had the backup DB from the morning of the upgrade, before I did anything to it. I restored that and I am back in business. Appreciate all the help, including the hosting suggestions.

Steve

@tsedgar - firstly, glad you got your problem fixed. Secondly, do us a favor and give your topic titles a name that coincides with your problem, such as the title is now after I renamed it. Titles like your original one tend to get skipped. Thanks and once again, glad you're all set.
DO NOT pm me for support!

tsedgar

Good point, thanks Steve for the guidance and thanks for fixing the title. I will make sure to use that guidance next time.

I certainly learned from my mistakes this time. I take many backups and I guess I lost track of what I had backed up. For those looking to upgrade to 2.1.2, make sure you back everything up at least twice. Make a checklist for situation or use the awesome guidance provided on this site.

I got lucky but I will slow down next time and make sure I am good before I go forward. Had great success with previous upgrades and that is when you overlook things and mistakes happen.

Advertisement: