News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Upgrade from SMF 1.1.21 to 2.1.2

Started by Imago, September 06, 2022, 03:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imago

First of all, I would like to thank all members and team who cared to help me in upgrading from 1.1 RC3 to 1.1.21

Now I am getting the same errors when trying to upgrade to 2.0.x or 2.1.x - tried all of them and the process stops always at 45% after adding the hash file and before converting the serialized strings, as demonstrated in the previous topic.

Tried also all possible combinations with PHP and MySQL but the problem is not there, neither is it in the cPanel or CWP.

Added also serialize_precision to php.ini - no effect. Always getting this image

Kindred

... and what happens if you click that link that says "click here to try again" ??
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Imago

Nothing happens. It prompts me to wait and click again ad infinitum (or better ad nauseam).

The only thing I didn't try yet is to install a full version of 1.1.21 and transfer forums, members and messages from the old 1.1.21, then upgrade to 2.1.2

Doug Heffernan

Can you check the server error log again and post here any messages logged in there from the time that you attempt to upgrade your forum?

Imago

Got error 'PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3478PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3509PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3521PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP... etc many lines

then finally
Got error 'PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3478PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3509PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3521PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_overall_progress in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3535PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_elapsed in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3560PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_mins in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3561PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_secs in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3561', referer: /upgrade.php?skiplang

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 10:31:33 AMGot error 'PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3478PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3509PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3521PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP... etc many lines

Can you check the paths and urls of the default theme and see if they point to the right location?

Have you changed hosts or renamed/moved the forum url at some point recently?

Imago

Yes, I am testing on different subdomain and check carefully bot in Settings.php and in the DB for all instances of the old path and domain. Otherwise the upgrade process will not start at all. BUT language is changed to "english" only in the Settings. And also the default theme is set to style-modified Classic.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 12:22:48 PMYes, I am testing on different subdomain and check carefully bot in Settings.php and in the DB for all instances of the old path and domain.

I assume that you made a replica of your main forum to a subdomain? If that is the case, did you run the repair_settings.php? tool to update all the paths and urls?

And please, provide all the details when asking for support. Be as precise/detailed as possible. Otherwise it serves no purpose.

Imago

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on September 06, 2022, 12:32:13 PMI assume that you made a replica of your main forum to a subdomain? If that is the case, did you run the repair_settings.php? tool to update all the paths and urls?

Never. I change the settings manually.

OK, I will try once again after changing to the main theme, forcing all to English, and using the repair_settings.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 12:40:12 PMNever. I change the settings manually.

There you go. 99% the issue is that the paths and urs have not been straightened out.

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 12:40:12 PMOK, I will try once again after changing to the main theme, forcing all to English, and using the repair_settings.

Good luck and let us know how it will go.

Imago

Update: Everything prepared as advised, ran the script and found out that the old subdomain is still being referred to by the upgrade.php on the new subdomain.

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: scripturl in buddha/Themes/default/languages/index.english.php on line 517', referer: sangha/upgrade.php

PS. The only thing that had to be changed in the repair_settings.php was the name of the SMFCookies

Imago

Tried to upgrade to 2.1.2 on the original domain and got this error while updating attachment data

Got error 'PHP message: PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/db_last_error.php): Failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/buddha/Settings.php on line 282', referer: buddha/upgrade.php

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 10:31:33 AMGot error 'PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3478PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3509PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3521PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/smf/upgrade.php on line 3526PHP...
Those errors occur because upgrade.php can't find /Themes/default/languages/index.english.php, which is included in upgrade package.  Either the file is missing or paths are incorrect.

Quote from: Imago on September 06, 2022, 10:05:15 AMThe only thing I didn't try yet is to install a full version of 1.1.21 and transfer forums, members and messages from the old 1.1.21, then upgrade to 2.1.2
That will accomplish nothing, upgrade.php does not use the previous version files.  If database is damaged you'll just transfer the problem to new install when you import the production database.

Forget about upgrading to 2.1 for now, you need to get to 2.0.  Do you have a 1.1.21 install that is up and running correctly?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Imago

The real problem has been boiled down to permission issue in the new Settings.php when trying to update the attachments

QuoteGot error 'PHP message: PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/db_last_error.php): Failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/buddha/Settings.php on line 282', referer: buddha/upgrade.php

Kindred

So, it looks like you need better chmod permissions in the forum directory so that the system can create and edit the dB error file
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

What are the permissions for the dir/file  /cache/db_last_error.php?  Should be 755/644.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Imago

Thank you!

In php.ini, I have indicated the /tmp as the uploads temp directory and /sessions as that for the sessions files - if selected in the repair_settings.php

As for the cache, it's Off for the whole site. Nothing also is found on the server to process cache. Didn't compile PHP with the available cache options as they are not favorable for the speed. If cache is necessary for SMF, which service would you recommend to include in the PHP compilation?

Imago

UPDATE: Finally it went through with 2.1.0 !!!

Had to change the language for all users to English and for the forum itself. Then it stuck with some fcgi command, so php-fmp 74 had to be changed to php-cgi 74, and in the end permissions to change INDEX were denied to the db_user, so fixed them and now the 2.1.0 is up and running.

Thanks again for the patience and compassion. I do really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Stubborn as I am, not going to leave SMF after 21 years using it.  :)

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Imago on September 08, 2022, 07:56:07 AMUPDATE: Finally it went through with 2.1.0 !!!

Glad to hear that you managed to upgrade your forum successfully. A word of advice if I may, it would be best to upgrade to the latest version, 2.1.2. This should be an easy one. You can do it one patch at a time from your admin panel.

Imago

Thanks, Doug!

I tried at least ten times to upgrade to 2.1.2 but the script always stuck at 45% as shown above. So I checked every upgrade successively from 2.0 RC1 up.  Too much variables to variegate - php type and version, language files mis-numbered, old files detected, etc. Frankly, it was an ordeal. ;)

Now, of course, the upgrade to 2.1.2 will be much easier.

Advertisement: