News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Disabling email requirement in registration

Started by strablan, September 10, 2022, 02:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strablan

Is it possible to disable email as requirement for registration? I know that I could just not verify them, but I'd like to not collect any in the first place if possible.

I found one plugin for that, but seems it hasn't been updated since 2013 so it's probably not going to work.

mickjav

In Admin Panel Find "Members" Then "Registration" Go To Settings and use the "Method of registration employed for new members" list to select the option you wish in this case Immediate Registration But I wouldn't recommend allow members to join without any sort of validation as you may end up with a lot of bots posting and or spammers.

All the best mick

strablan

Quote from: mickjav on September 10, 2022, 04:40:30 AMIn Admin Panel Find "Members" Then "Registration" Go To Settings and use the "Method of registration employed for new members" list to select the option you wish in this case Immediate Registration But I wouldn't recommend allow members to join without any sort of validation as you may end up with a lot of bots posting and or spammers.

All the best mick

I tried that, but you still need to input email address. If it can't be completely disabled then that's the route I'll have to take.

And yeah I'm not leaving it without any validation, it's just that email validation is pointless and only makes you vulnerable to the Small Business Wipeout Act (GDPR) without any benefits since you're storing yet another point of data that you shouldn't.

Illori

the email address is an alternate way to log in, so you cannot go without it.

strablan

Quote from: Illori on September 10, 2022, 05:24:56 AMthe email address is an alternate way to log in, so you cannot go without it.

Well, I'd argue that something being 'alternate' quite literally means that you could go without it, but fair enough, I'll have to try to live with it then. Thanks.

Steve

Most everyone goes to a number of websites and they can't always remember what name they used but they do remember their email.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

It is possible (though not recommended) to make forum delete email addresses once registration is completed with email activation.  Not a good idea, as you would lose a lot of functionality (password resets, notifications, newsletters, etc.), but it can be done if you have a really good reason for doing it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

It will do more than lose functionality,  it will potentially expose every account as a security risk
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: