Show "Banned" status to non-admin members?

Started by SulevFan, September 19, 2022, 12:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SulevFan

A rather uncomfortable situation arose on our forums. It involved much discussion on whether a particular user was banned, is on hiatus, or had left.

I thought I could put it to rest by advising folks to look at the user profile and see whether they were banned.

Seems that red line is only visible to admins? I did not know that. Is it possible to make it so (somehow) so that that shows up for any member viewing a profile of another user?

TwitchisMental

Quote from: SulevFan on September 19, 2022, 12:58:10 PMA rather uncomfortable situation arose on our forums. It involved much discussion on whether a particular user was banned, is on hiatus, or had left.

I thought I could put it to rest by advising folks to look at the user profile and see whether they were banned.

Seems that red line is only visible to admins? I did not know that. Is it possible to make it so (somehow) so that that shows up for any member viewing a profile of another user?

If you are the Admin on this forum, then why is it that you telling other members that the user in question is banned, not enough? If not, just ignore this question.

---------------------------------------------

To answer your question though, I believe only Admin and Moderators can see this by default.

I did do a quick check and did not see a specific option in permissions to show this specific information either.

Another solution option for you - When you ban a member, place them in a specific group. Call it the banned group.

So users can see that they are in the banned group.

Screeny -

You cannot view this attachment.

Speed King

Go to Admin panel => Permissions
Select "Regular users" group.
In "Member accounts" section, check "Any" profile checkbox in "View warning status" option.

Click =>

Illori

Quote from: Speed King on September 19, 2022, 01:23:51 PMGo to Admin panel => Permissions
Select "Regular users" group.
In "Member accounts" section, check "Any" profile checkbox in "View warning status" option.

Click =>

Warning status is not the same thing.

SulevFan

Quote from: TwitchisMental on September 19, 2022, 01:18:24 PMIf you are the Admin on this forum, then why is you telling other members that the user in question is banned enough? If not, just ignore this question.

I'll look into the "Banned" group. That seems doable. As for the above question, I'd rather stay out of paranoid discussions about members being banned when in fact we have, over 14 years, banned about 12 members out of ~5,000.

Dissension and then leaving under one's own volition is not something I'd like to get involved in.

Advertisement: