News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need to Upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.3

Started by Greyhound, November 25, 2022, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

I did click overwrite files.  I noticed there are two index.php and ssi.php files.  One of each has a squiggly - after them.  Someone previously mentioned that isn't the issue.  I thought that might have been an issue at first. 

Do I delete the old ones with the - after them? 

Pic attached.

Edit:  I'm noticing this also happened in the sources folder.  So it probably happened with all the files that should have been over wrote.  I did click overwrite though so I don't know why it did this.

Kindred

No. The php~ files are backups created when you install a mod. They have no purpose in the activity of running your forum

Deleting them is fine, if you are doing a major upgrade.

Actually,  what you should do, is delete the Sources and Themes folders entirely. Also delete index.php.

Then upload the new files from the upgrade archive.

But first. You did take a backup of your site before starting the upgrade attempt,  yes?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Greyhound

I did backup my files and db before I did the upgrade.  I have files on the server and on my computer. 

Greyhound

Quote from: Kindred on November 27, 2022, 06:36:12 PMNo. The php~ files are backups created when you install a mod. They have no purpose in the activity of running your forum

Deleting them is fine, if you are doing a major upgrade.

Actually,  what you should do, is delete the Sources and Themes folders entirely. Also delete index.php.

Then upload the new files from the upgrade archive.

But first. You did take a backup of your site before starting the upgrade attempt,  yes?
I deleted Sources, Themes and index.php and uploaded them again from the upgrade archive.  Still having the same issue. 

There has to be something screwing this up outside of this?  Should I delete the files from Tiny Portal?

m4z

Are the files gone after deletion and are you uploading the correct files?

Yes, try to delete all SMF related files, you can reinstall those mods afterwards.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Greyhound

I've gotten multiple questions about the files I'm uploading.  I downloaded the 2.1.3.upgrade pack. I unzipped it.   I transferred files just like the instructions said to using ftp.   Immediately after transferring and overwriting old files I had this issue.  

Settings.php is still there with db, user and password information.  

Folder permissions are 755 and files are 644.  

I did nothing else. 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Greyhound

m4z

Can you confirm that
- a) you deleted all files before uploading the new files and
- b) after uploading, all files and directories extracted from the large upgrade pack show a current timestamp in the ftp client?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Sir Osis of Liver

Forum is still wsod.  I'm also seeing 2.0 version at http://www.paintingtheblack.com/ssi_examples.php, and 2.0 agreement.txt (it's slightly different).  Either 2.1 files are not uploading, or you're uploading them to wrong destination, or something is seriously wrong with your server.  It's remotely possible that the 404.shtml error is being caused by server being pointed to wrong location, that would explain the other problems.  Is there an .htaccess in /public_html?  Can you restore 2.0 backup and get it running correctly?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Greyhound

I did the overwrite function not delete as that is what the instructions said to do.

The files and dates match on the server and in FTP.

So I am noticing something.  There are some duplicate SMF files under public HTML and the folder paintingtheblack.  This must have been done by the hosting company.   I am assuming that could be the issue? 

I transferred files to public HTML > paintingtheblack.   Is it possible the old files in regular public html are causing the conflict? 

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Greyhound on November 28, 2022, 11:56:15 AMSo I am noticing something.  There are some duplicate SMF files under public HTML and the folder paintingtheblack.  This must have been done by the hosting company.   I am assuming that could be the issue? 

That can't be the issue. According to the error message you posted, the server has no access to files and folders.

You really should talk to your host about this. This is most likely a permission issue.

Greyhound

I called my host.  Long story short, they are telling me my domain files should be under public html and not the site folder.  Originally there was a different main domain which is why there was a folder. 

I'm debating if I shouldn't just restore it back and then update the files in public html after that and see if the upgrade works. 

Do you think that's the best option or should I just try to update the sources, themes, SSI and index.php in the main public html and see if that works?

Greyhound

I know you all are probably tired of me.  I am making progress.  I moved the upgrade files to the main public html folder and the upgrade.php came up.  

I am now getting the below error.  I have confirmed both folders are there and have permissions of 755.  Anyone see any issues proceeding? 

Note!
Warning! Avatar directory not found. Continuing may be unsafe. Please confirm folder settings before proceeding.

Warning! One or more attachment directories not found. Continuing may be unsafe. Please confirm folder settings before proceeding.

Sir Osis of Liver

You have to move (or better, copy) everything from the original forum directory to /public_html.  Upgrade.php is looking for files in local directory and not finding them.  If you've been running the 2.0 forum in a different directory and want to move it to /public_html, I'd recommend moving the entire install to /public_html, run repair_settings to get it working.  If successful, then upload the 2.1.3 upgrade package to /public_html and upgrade should run correctly.

- R. Waters

Greyhound

Copying now and then will move and reapply the upgrade package.  Should I get rid of the folder after that so there isn't duplicate files in two directories?  

Sir Osis of Liver

Run repair_settings before running upgrade.  I would leave the old install until you're sure everything's good to go in /public_html.  But when you no longer need them, get rid of the old files.  Good housekeeping is always a plus, you can accumulate a lot of crap over a period of years (trust me, I know).

- R. Waters

Greyhound

Using repair_settings helped me figure out the original issue.  Some of the forum paths were inconsistent.  No idea how that happened.  Some directories were to the public html and others were to a folder under public html. 

I changed the directories to public html.  I moved all the files there too.  I'm still getting the below error in upgrade.php.  Even if I refresh and do the upgrade again I don't know if that will fix it.  Opninions....am I OK to start the upgrade?   

Note!
Warning! Avatar directory not found. Continuing may be unsafe. Please confirm folder settings before proceeding.

Warning! One or more attachment directories not found. Continuing may be unsafe. Please confirm folder settings before proceeding.

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have /avatars and /attachment directories in /public_html?  Is so, use repair_settings to check paths again to /avatars and /attachments.  Directory permissions should be 755.

- R. Waters

Greyhound

OK, just to let everyone I was able to finally successfully upgrade my forum to 2.1.3.  After finally getting my bearings, I realized all the issues I was having was because the forum had mismatch directories all through the settings.php file.  The repair settings file worked amazing and finally helped me see the issues. 

I really want to thank you all for your help and for being patient with me!  I really appreciate it!  

Advertisement: