News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Going from 2.1RC3 to current 2.1.3 Version

Started by MarkRH, November 28, 2022, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkRH

My webhost changed their default PHP version from 7.4.33 to 8.1.2 overnight.  While the forum still loads, several parts throw out warnings and some things like the Package Manager just fail with an error.

Anyway, what would be the best way to upgrade?  I can change the PHP version being used back to 7.4.33 if I need to in order for the Package Manager to work.  Will I need to do this?  I looked at https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=patches and not sure which if any of these I could use.

I suspect I'll need to use the Large Upgrade package.  If so, should I revert back to PHP 7.4 before attempting the upgrade and then switching back to 8.1.2 when done?

Thanks,
Mark H.
Mark H.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: MarkRH on November 28, 2022, 06:16:47 PMI suspect I'll need to use the Large Upgrade package.

Yes.  Upgrade should run fine in php 8.1.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

Reverting to PHP 7.4 should not be necessary before running the large upgrade, but it won't hurt. Otherwise, yes, that is the way to do it.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

MarkRH

Mark H.

Advertisement: