News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Development Update - July 2023

Started by shawnb61, July 20, 2023, 01:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

Quote from: Antechinus on July 20, 2023, 04:47:03 PMLol. Good idea anyway. I'm amazed you got it past the conservatives. They don't like changing anything. :D
Speaking as one of those conservative (ish) types, I'll say that my only objection to this given roadmap is the milestones. I'm an advocate for strictly following Semantic Versioning. Which means that these proposed changes will make presumed stable releases unstable.

Antechinus

Yes I can see that potentially being an issue, but I was not referring to the software itself. That comment was simply about the change of board position on this site. :)

Tyrsson

Quote from: live627 on August 08, 2023, 08:12:04 PM
Quote from: Antechinus on July 20, 2023, 04:47:03 PMLol. Good idea anyway. I'm amazed you got it past the conservatives. They don't like changing anything. :D
Speaking as one of those conservative (ish) types, I'll say that my only objection to this given roadmap is the milestones. I'm an advocate for strictly following Semantic Versioning. Which means that these proposed changes will make presumed stable releases unstable.
Considering the current state of the test suite available for SMF how is one to adhere to truly semantic versioning when the entire platform is not (unit and integration), and can not be fully, tested before any release is cut? It can not be. So, cutting any x.xx(.x) release is really just applying a label. SMF is behind. Has been, will continue to be. I love the the project. Truth is truth.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Kindred

Sure truth = truth...

except, in this case what you are stating is not necessarily truth - just opinion.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

How is a test suite related to a standardized way of, as you say, applying labels?  Aldo, which test suite you reefer to?

Illori

Kindred

Also..  btw...   versioning has absolutely nothing to do with testing
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SleePy

If anyone complains, we could go the web browser route for versioning.  Make it pointless.

Unit testing is great for automation of standard tests.  But some companies depend on it so much, they don't actually QA test and then we get poorly designed features and half baked products.  I don't need to point out specific products, I'm sure everyone can think of some software that just doesn't work as it should and you questioned how it made it through testing...  That is the reason.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

PrimalPrime

What's the plan for the next release and when should we expect it? ;)

Dzonny

Quote from: PrimalPrime on October 02, 2023, 04:25:45 AMWhat's the plan for the next release and when should we expect it? ;)
You can expect it as soon as it's ready  8)

landyvlad

Quote from: SleePy on August 10, 2023, 09:45:25 PMIf anyone complains, we could go the web browser route for versioning.  Make it pointless.

Nah Lakes and Mountains are already taken so why don't we name our versions after different spaceships.

SMF 'Viking'
SMF 'Pathfinder'
SMF 'Nostromo'
etc

That way nobody knows what order anything is in, and everybody gets confused!
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

landyvlad

Even sticking to real ships we have plenty of options (not a comprehensive list):

from NASA
Pioneer, Pathfinder, Viking, Ranger, Surveyor, Discovery, Mariner, Spirit, Opportunity, Phoenix, Perseverance, Ingenuity, Voyager, Galileo, Cassini,
Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour

From Europe
Rosetta, Herschel, Huygens, Planck, Cheops, Smile, Euclid, Plato, Ariel, Juice, Athena, Giotto, Olympus, Schiaparelli, Ulysses, Hero, Vigil,

From Russia
Sputnik, Vostok, Molniya, Zarya, Zvezda, Buran, Soyuz,

Some not suitable for various reasons, some very cool.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Kindred

ah yes, the russians... ever literal --   calling their first spaceship --  "Satellite".
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: