News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

2.1 Beta & RC modification compatibility with 2.1.x & 2.0 compatibility in 2.1.x

Started by 8vanima88, December 02, 2022, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8vanima88

Hi everyone. First post here. I'll start by saying that I love SMF, I've participated in a lot of SMF forums and have decided to start my own recently.

In my preparation process, I created a spreadsheet of all mods supported in 2.1. Going through them all raised a few questions. Two of which were:
- Are mods built for 2.1 Beta and RC1/2/3/4 compatible with 2.1.3? I love some of dougiefresh' ideas, however I see a lot of his work is during the 2.1 RCx era.
- Are 2.0 mods definitively not compatible with 2.1? If it's not definitive, has anyone made a list of which ones still work? I would love to use the Split forum mod however I see that it's 2.0 compatible only. I'm sure there are a bunch of other great mods in the 2.0 era as well.

I have spent the last week or so going through each and every mod for version 2.1.3 - I look forward to publishing it to the community to start my journey here in this community :)

Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There are no definitive answers to your questions really. Mods may or may not work with versions they were not designed for, but generally speaking if you are running 2.1.3 you are safest sticking with mods built for 2.1.0 and above.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

8vanima88

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 02, 2022, 02:26:32 PMThere are no definitive answers to your questions really. Mods may or may not work with versions they were not designed for, but generally speaking if you are running 2.1.3 you are safest sticking with mods built for 2.1.0 and above.

I hoped 2.1 beta/rc mods were compatible to make life a bit easier, I had a feeling it was a trial/error though. Thanks for the fast reply, noted.

Diego Andrés

If they were using hooks there's a good chance they might work.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

8vanima88

Noted, thanks for the info Diego. Thank you for all of your work on mods also, during my catalog I've seen A LOT of useful mods from you guys at SMFTricks that I'll be implementing.

landyvlad

SMF 2.0 to 2.1 many straight out will NOT work, assume the majority. Obviously the code base is very different. Even installing the mods will often be impossible because it'll be looking for code that doesn't exist to insert new code adjacent.

There were - by definition - substantial changes between the beta and various release candidates and the production version of 2.1

So while some beta/rc tested mods MAY work there's no guarantee.

I'd do all I can to avoid potential current and future conflicts and as much as possible stick to mods that are for 2.1.0 and above (and especially those tested with the current version of SMF, which as I write this is 2.1.3)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

8vanima88

Thanks landyvlad. Since starting this thread I've tinkered a bit and concluded exactly what you said and constantly making backups as I try the beta/rc mods I really want.

It does suck that so many potentially useful features can't be used, but that's just the way it goes I guess! Would be great if there was a way to incentivize mod creators to patch up to the current version. Maybe a grants/requests/bounties section or something.

I've also noticed as I've been using the admin panel that some mods were even implemented into base 2.1...I think marking the ones that have been or a reference somewhere would be cool.

Advertisement: