Inundated with errors, other forums down, since 2.1.3

Started by rusbowden, December 04, 2022, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusbowden

I upgraded to 2.1.3 from 2.1.2, and updated mods.

SMF is the forum software for the latest Babilu forums, Known as Babilu 3: https://pochapocha.com/babilu3/index.php

The upgrades and updates have caused the other forums to be unloadable:

https://pochapocha.com/babilu2/ (which uses Vanilla)
https://pochapocha.com/babilu/ (which uses Phorum)
https://pochapocha.com/cc/ (which also uses Phorum)You cannot view this attachment.

Attached is the latest screenshot of the Error log for babilu3, along with Backtrace information.

Diego Andrés

How did you update the forum, did you install the patch?
And how did you "update" the mods? It seems the hooks from mods are giving you those issues.
Mods are often just uninstalled and installed to update to their latest version (if there is any for them), but in your case they didn't fully install (or uninstall) for whatever reason.

You can go into admin > Maintenance > forum maintenance > integration hooks, and disable or remove those hooks that might be faulty (if you uninstalled the mods). If you didn't want to uninstall them, you might need to re-install them.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

Also, unless you have a really bad misconfiguration, there is no way that an error in the smf forum would cause other forum software in other directories to fail
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Your error seems to have been caused by a third party mod. What mods do you have installed and what mod did you uninstall as last?

rusbowden

Thanks, all

The problem has now escalated to not being able to enter most message areas.

For instance, of you go to the discussion area: https://pochapocha.com/babilu3/index.php?board=1.0

Click on the top message: December 2022 IBPC poll. You can get in. But as I write, trying most any other, and it is a call to download the index.php file. The URL is correct, but it is as if there is a redirect.

This makes it impossible to click into the admin area.

Rus

rusbowden

Hi Kindred,

First, thank you. That's been the puzzle. The index.php file was calling for a Settings.php to be within the other forums. No change has been done to the index.php file since February 2022. But, when I changed the index file to call for babilu3/Settings.php, instead of simply Settings.php, no longer did the Vanilla forum throw the Settings.php error.

What I was hoping to find out here, unless an easy fix was given, is what was in the updates of either 2.1.3 or the mods that would have effected the other forums. After all, I don't overlay the new releases over the old in the cpanel, but from the forum. My question was yours, what the heck was going on in that update process that did this damage.

Rus

rusbowden

Hi Diego,

Thanks much.

The site went down when I was installing a mod. I did it in the admin area. The first step was to upload it, then to click "install" where it the checks the compatibility, then to click "install" again to integrate it into the live software. It was on that last click that the site went down.

I opened a ticket at the hosting company and they could not figure it, but in the process of addressing the problem, increased capacities that brought the SMF forum back up, with errors galore.

I then uninstalled or deleted the recently updated mods and reinstalled them.

As noted above, I cannot get into the admin area to check the hooks.

Rus

Kindred

Rus,
There is literally nothing in an smf installation that will affect other directories on the server unless you have seriously misconfigured something.
(Like sharing the same database and prefix)

Index.php checks for the Settings.php in the same directory as itself.  There is no need to specify the path unless you have altered the core configuration of the system.

What mod were you trying to install?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rusbowden

Thanks Doug,

Attached is an update list from the File Manager

Rus

You cannot view this attachment.

rusbowden

Hi Kindred,

As I have said, I was doing nothing but working in the admin area of the forum. Nothing at all. What puzzles you puzzles me.

Your hunch is that I must have done something, but the sites have been running fine, just fine. My hunch becomes what the heck was going on in the SMF update process. That's where I was, nowhere else.

Rus

Kindred

1- systems do not break on their own.

2- again, as I have said, there is nothing in smf that would have done that.

3- check with your host
Слaва
Украинi

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: rusbowden on December 05, 2022, 03:29:56 PMThanks Doug,

Attached is an update list from the File Manager

Rus

Have a look at the screenshot that you posted in the first post, where the error message says hook call... . It mentions automedia_actions and most likely that comes from the Simple Audio Video Embeder mod. To be 100% sure, check that mod if it contains the hook named in the error message. If it doesn't, check all the mods till you find which one has added it and uninstall it manually.

And I agree with Kindred, errors never pop up just like that, out of nowhere. It 's simply not possible.

rusbowden

Hi Kindred,

Thanks again.

I checked with my host, and have been for a week. Indeed, they have a link to this thread in the open ticket. And now I have pointed them to your response.

The error occurred while updating a mod from the admin area of the SMF forum. That cannot be ignored.

Rus

rusbowden

Hi Doug,

Thanks. Will do.

The particular problem that cropped up today I referenced above, that clicking in babilu3 to open threads or topics are calls to download the public_html/index.php file. It looks as if something in one of the mods has been changed to refer back to that file incorrectly, if it can be that simple, which then goes looking for Settings.php.

Rus

Kindred

Whty can you not tell us the information we have asked?

WHAT MOD?? ?? ??
Слaва
Украинi

rusbowden

Hi Kindred,

At this point, I cannot know, right?? That could resolve the issue, if we suspect a mod is the culprit versus something to do with the hosting as you suggested. And I let A2hosting know that you suggested this.

The updated mods are listed in the post above that Doug responded to.

I am just now able, on this last try, to get into the admin area and will try the suggestion, and will be looking at the Scrolling Buttons mod, as that is showing up looks like as much as the automedia_actions message if not more.

Thanks.

Rus

rusbowden

From the admin area, Scrolling Buttons has already been removed. I did this when I noticed the errors associated with it some days ago. But the errors persist. My next step may be to reinstall it to help with the error(s) I now get in uninstalling Simple Audio Video Embedder. That error page from the forum is attached, along with thelist of mods and dates.

rusbowden

Quote from: Diego Andrés on December 04, 2022, 11:14:14 PMHow did you update the forum, did you install the patch?
And how did you "update" the mods? It seems the hooks from mods are giving you those issues.
Mods are often just uninstalled and installed to update to their latest version (if there is any for them), but in your case they didn't fully install (or uninstall) for whatever reason.

You can go into admin > Maintenance > forum maintenance > integration hooks, and disable or remove those hooks that might be faulty (if you uninstalled the mods). If you didn't want to uninstall them, you might need to re-install them.

Hi Diego,

On the hooks, Scrolling Buttons, which had been uninstalled and deleted, had one there that was unfound, and so did indentBBC. So I uninstalled and deleted indentBBC and deleted both. What's left is automedia_actions, which I then deleted and seems to be associated with the Simple Audio Video Embedder, which throws errors on uninstalling.

The site then showed only 2 errors per click, both associated with the mod Unread-Notifications-On-Title_v1.1.3. And that I believe was the mod that I clicked to install that sent the forums down. And the old one showed in the mods list, so I deleted it, then uninstalled the new version, and had to delete that in the hooks area. And then reinstalled it. Now getting no errors at Babilu 3.

But the other forums are not working. So we either have the extraordinary coincidence that just when I was updating Babilu 3, all forums, which had been working fine that day of the SMF updates, went down. It's possible. I once had a car with a VIN number, the last 4 digits being the same as my telephone number, so I played the number in the lottery and won $4.000. I say this only analytically, not sarcastically. Coincidences happen, but . . .

Thanks much.

Rus

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on December 05, 2022, 03:29:20 PMThere is literally nothing in an smf installation that will affect other directories on the server unless you have seriously misconfigured something.
(Like sharing the same database and prefix)

Are the forums all in one database?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Getting this at https://pochapocha.com/babilu/ -

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 1824 of 2748 bytes in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/babilu/include/db/mysql.php on line 380

Warning: require_once(./include/cache/file.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/babilu/common.php on line 230

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Failed opening required './include/cache/file.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php81/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php81/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/babilu/common.php:230 Stack trace: #0 /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/babilu/index.php(21): include_once() #1 {main} thrown in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/babilu/common.php on line 230

And this at https://pochapocha.com/cc/

Warning: require_once(./include/cache/file.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/cc/common.php on line 230

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Failed opening required './include/cache/file.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php81/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php81/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/cc/common.php:230 Stack trace: #0 /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/cc/index.php(21): include_once() #1 {main} thrown in /home/wzzdbhie/public_html/cc/common.php on line 230

WSOD at https://pochapocha.com/babilu2/.

None of this has anything to do with SMF. 

https://pochapocha.com/babilu3/index.php seems to be working fine.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: