News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum Getting a lot of Errors

Started by Greyhound, December 08, 2022, 08:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

Something appears to be going on with the forum.

I logged on for the first time today and had over 6,000 errors.   While on the forum more and more keep happening.

This is an example:

2: Illegal string offset 'e'
There are more like this:

4096: Argument 1 passed to smf_strftime() must be an instance of string, string given, called in /home2/famelico/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 1228 and defined

I upgraded about a week ago but today is the first time this happened.  Only mods installed are members online today.  that was installed after the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.3. 

This just started today. 

Any ideas?

Sesquipedalian

What version of PHP are you using? The "...must be an instance of string, string given..." error message typically occurs only on PHP 5. Since SMF 2.1 requires PHP 7 or later, you need to use at least PHP 7.0 (but it would be better to use the latest release of PHP 7.4 or PHP 8.x).
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Greyhound

m4z

Did you change the forum default time format (Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> General -> Default time format) or did an individual user change their time format (Profile -> Forum Profile -> Look and Layout -> Time Format) and include an invalid percent string?

Have you installed or updated language files?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Greyhound

I didn't change anything in admin.  Not sure about users but I can check.  There's only 20. 

I didn't install anything after the upgrade a week ago but members online and I did that after the upgrade.  

There were no errors like this until yesterday. 

Greyhound

In config general the default time format is below:

%B %d, %Y, %I:%M:%S %p
Is this correct?  

m4z

It looks correct. I've tried to reproduce the error by using different strings and I couldn't, so it seems it's more likely a programming problem like Sesq assumed.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Greyhound

This is from phpmyadmin: 

• PHP version: 7.4.33

Illori

That does not mean your forum is running that same version.

Greyhound

Looking at PHP info in server settings it says under Core PHP version is 5.6.40.

I originally had this as 2.0.8 and used the upgrade tool to upgrade to 2.1.3.  

I was under the impression this upgrade would have upgraded the PHP version also? 

Sir Osis of Liver

Upgrade does not affect php version, that's strictly server side.  If you look in admin Support Information it will give you current php version.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Greyhound on December 09, 2022, 11:30:27 AMI was under the impression this upgrade would have upgraded the PHP version also?

The forum upgrade will not do that. Php has to be upgraded separately. Most cPanels offer that possibility. If you don't have that, you must contact your host so they can upgrade the php.

Greyhound

I'm getting a ton of errors now (over 6,000).  I can't view profile pages.  Now we can't post either.   

Again, this just started and I have been running the new version for about a week now. 

So I need to ask my host to upgrade my PHP to what version?   

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Greyhound

I was able to upgrade to 7.4.  Seems like that has stopped the errors and now I can post and see profiles.  

It does appear I can upgrade higher than 7.4.  Should I leave it on 7.4 for now or also consider upgrading higher?   Looks like I can to 8.0 or 8.1. 

Doug Heffernan

It is better to upgrade to 8.1. Php 7.x has reached EOL.

Sir Osis of Liver

Not a great idea to stay with a host that had you running in php 5.6.  :P

- R. Waters

Greyhound

The issue there was the old forum freaked out stopped working when they upgraded my php so they reverted it back to 5.6.  

But I am planning to move to a different host. 

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: