How to get Forum noticed?

Started by MTBE, December 09, 2022, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTBE

I am a complete newbie at this.  I started a forum using epizy as the host and SMF as the forum base.

I'm trying to get the forum noticed, or at least indexed on Google search.  When I do the process for "Google Search Console", it has me download a file that I'm supposed to put on my website to verify it.

But, I don't know where or how to add it.

Any help at all because I'm completely lost.  I may not even have the terminology correct in my post...

Other than this verification, any other help on how to get the forum noticed?

lurkalot

You need to upload that verification file to your forum root directory.  The folder where all your SMF files are sitting.

MTBE

Quote from: lurkalot on December 09, 2022, 07:34:14 PMYou need to upload that verification file to your forum root directory.  The folder where all your SMF files are sitting.

Those sit on my hard drive?  Because it says to upload to the forum site....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: MTBE on December 09, 2022, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on December 09, 2022, 07:34:14 PMYou need to upload that verification file to your forum root directory.  The folder where all your SMF files are sitting.

Those sit on my hard drive?  Because it says to upload to the forum site....

Google offers multiple ways to do this, usually the easiest options are either

1) Download a html file, that you then need to upload to your hosting at the same location as your forums main index.php

2) Edit your DNS records to include a verification code that Google provides.

In both cases, your site needs to be accessible to the public, and Google needs to be able to access the added verification info.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: