News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Display name bug?

Started by Steve, December 26, 2022, 11:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

A user changed her display name and then decided to change it back. SMF wouldn't let her, giving her an error message saying that the display name was already in use. I tried to do it for her and got the same result.

Is this intentional or a bug?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Is the original display name still in the database?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Steve

I didn't look. Doug went in the database and fixed it for me.

But that's treating the symptom, not fixing the cause. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Not enough information here, how long was it between the name changes? Had someone taken the old displayname in between? At least I haven't seen or heard of this happening unless the name actually was already reserved.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

I cannot reproduce.

Can you reproduce the issue?  Did someone else have that same display name?  What was the fix?

My best guess is that the duplicate was not caught in a earlier version of SMF, and someone else had that particular name. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Steve

The member that had the display name is the only one who ever had it. I have a small group so I can be assured of that. I don't know how long between changes but I can find out.

Hmmm ... I couldn't reproduce it trying it myself just now either. @Doug Heffernan was the one who changed it in the database so I don't know exactly what he changed.

Maybe a gremlin in her account?  :P

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Steve

Yea, that guy. I guess this can be moved to bogus bugs.

Advertisement: