News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Several questions from a newbie

Started by 20abc22, December 27, 2022, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

I suspect it is something on his side...  probably some security settings that he configured in his mobile browser
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 07, 2023, 11:54:07 AMI suspect it is something on his side...  probably some security settings that he configured in his mobile browser

I let him know. I've tried the forum on my own cell and the tablet and had no issues posting or staying logged in as long as I needed ...

Thank you again for all the amazing help and support! What a great community. I hope to give back one day :).

20abc22

Hi again,

I was wondering if you can help me with the following problem.

I've noticed that there is a Russian bot Yandex crawling the forum. I want to stop it. I have found the code for it to create robots.txt, but for the life of me I can't figure out what my root directory is to place this file into.

I also don't seem to get my favicon file to work. It's not showing on my website. It's currently in the public_html/forum folder.

Thank you!

TwitchisMental

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 11, 2023, 11:07:11 PMHi again,

I've noticed that there is a Russian bot Yandex crawling the forum. I want to stop it. I have found the code for it to create robots.txt, but for the life of me I can't figure out what my root directory is to place this file into.

I also don't seem to get my favicon file to work. It's not showing on my website. It's currently in the public_html/forum folder.

Thank you!

This plugin should make what you are trying to do a bit easier -

https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2659

Kindred

I dunno about that...

Anyway,  robots.txt should go in the same directory as your smf installation... the one with settings.php in it

The favicon may take several days to show...  it's a browser thing
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

20abc22

Quote from: TwitchisMental on January 11, 2023, 11:09:46 PM
Quote from: 20abc22 on January 11, 2023, 11:07:11 PMHi again,

Thank you!

This plugin should make what you are trying to do a bit easier -

https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2659

Thanks so much! I will definitely check it out.

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 12, 2023, 12:16:39 AMI dunno about that...

Anyway,  robots.txt should go in the same directory as your smf installation... the one with settings.php in it

The favicon may take several days to show...  it's a browser thing

It appears to be there. I noticed there are fewer IPs from Yandex, but still a few managed to get through.

20abc22

There is something weird going on with the website.

For example, after making the above changes, it was showing the favicon in the browser and I did not see any Yandex bots.

Today they've been crawling it like crazy and the favicon disappeared.

When I log in to CPanel, I see 2 website instances. One is regular and another - with SSL next to it.

Is this normal?

Thank you.

Kindred

add this to your .htaccess file

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

I see that thefavicon is present, but don't see it in the browser...

so, you might have to add this to your index.template.php file - just before the </head>

<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/images/favicon.ico">

Слaва
Украинi

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 15, 2023, 04:28:55 PMadd this to your .htaccess file

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off

I see that thefavicon is present, but don't see it in the browser...

so, you might have to add this to your index.template.php file - just before the </head>

Thank you, will do. Yesterday I could clearly see it and today it is not there.

It almost feels like the website is switched to something else and bots are back.

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 15, 2023, 04:28:55 PMadd this to your .htaccess file

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off

[/code]

This file was not originally visible, but I found and downloaded it, and kept the original copy just in case.

Where do I add this extra code - at the beginning or the end of the original code (I understand it should be kept untouched)?

Thank you.

20abc22

Is this the index.template.php file in the directory for the theme I am using (ProCurve)?

Thank you.

Kindred

You can add the htaccess code anywhere in the file

And Yes the themes that you are using
Слaва
Украинi

20abc22

Unfortunately, I did not get the results I hoped for. Yandex bots are still crawling around and the favicon isn't showing :(.

Steve

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 20, 2023, 12:54:44 AMthe favicon isn't showing
You put the 32 x 32 image named favicon.ico in the root folder?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Well, I just realized... with the code I provided, the favicon.ico would go into the theme's images directory
Слaва
Украинi

20abc22

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 20, 2023, 02:54:10 PMWell, I just realized... with the code I provided, the favicon.ico would go into the theme's images directory

Thanks - will update tonight and see if anything changes.

Kindred

as for the yandex.....    the code that I gave you just forces the forum to use https.

To prevent yandex, you would have to block a whole range of IP addresses or try to block the user agent
Слaва
Украинi

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 20, 2023, 03:02:02 PMas for the yandex.....    the code that I gave you just forces the forum to use https.

To prevent yandex, you would have to block a whole range of IP addresses or try to block the user agent

I was thinking about blocking IPs, as Yandex bots come from a few known IP addresses. Need to figure out how to do that. Learning something new every day :).

Advertisement: