User Action Menu in Small Viewports

Started by ColinJM, July 30, 2023, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinJM

1) I have created a forum and many of my members are no that computer savvy.
2) As a retired website designer I try to make my menus as intuitive as possible.
3) SMF generally has very good navigational architecture.
4) However, in resect to responsive adaptation in small viewports theUser Actions button menu has NO ALERTS OR EMAILS :

May I suggest this sub menu item should be modified to read just ALERTS OR EMAILS

Kind Regards

Colin

Diego Andrés

No Alerts or Emails refers to disable either that is enabled, so Alerts or Emails would be the opposite, no?
The opposite would be the last option which is Receive Emails and Alerts.

It did seem confusing the first couple of times I used it.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

ColinJM

Thanks DA for your input - which I find a bit confusing to be honest. I'm still of the opinion that Emails and Alerts would be better item title - then you click on that and select one of the 4 options.
Kind Regards

Colin

Tyrsson

Quote from: ColinJM on July 30, 2023, 09:45:36 PMThanks DA for your input - which I find a bit confusing to be honest. I'm still of the opinion that Emails and Alerts would be better item title - then you click on that and select one of the 4 options.

It's one of those things where you have to take the entire context into consideration. This one template or template section provides all of the functionality that you are describing without the need for more markup.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

ColinJM

Quote from: Tyrsson on July 30, 2023, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: ColinJM on July 30, 2023, 09:45:36 PMThanks DA for your input - which I find a bit confusing to be honest. I'm still of the opinion that Emails and Alerts would be better item title - then you click on that and select one of the 4 options.

It's one of those things where you have to take the entire context into consideration. This one template or template section provides all of the functionality that you are describing without the need for more markup.
Ok - thanks for the input - but I still feel that No emails and Alerts in the menu title leading to the tertiary level menu is unintuitive and gives the impression it's setting no alerts or emails rather than a drop down to the four options.
Kind Regards

Colin

shawnb61

That particular menu entry is a little confusing, because it doubles as a display of your selection.  The benefit is you don't need to click on it to see your setting for that board or topic.  Your setting is already displayed.  Change it & see.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Antechinus

Ok, read all of that. Can see the point, but honestly it's the most counter-intuitive way possible of designing a menu, Someone "clever" has obviously "put a lot of thought into this", instead of just doing something normal people would do. Hence the issue described by the OP.

Shades of the 2.1 attachments system here. Highly technical overthinking, resulting in something normal people won't want to use.

The header should be a standard header for that section of the settings menu. The actual settings should be within that section. If you do it that way, no confusion. HTH.

ColinJM

Quote from: shawnb61 on July 31, 2023, 12:05:56 AMThat particular menu entry is a little confusing, because it doubles as a display of your selection.  The benefit is you don't need to click on it to see your setting for that board or topic.  Your setting is already displayed.  Change it & see.
Hi Shawn,

I did - and it didn't change.
Kind Regards

Colin

Diego Andrés

Works well for me on this site/topic. You should see the indicator on the page when clicking an option (an least on desktop), and it should update the button title accordingly.

In my themes I changed this behavior to simply display Notify (means either is off) or Unnotify (means either is on) and open the dropdown for more specific information.
The wording is something to discuss for any scenario for sure.

Quote from: Antechinus on July 31, 2023, 04:57:34 PMOk, read all of that. Can see the point, but honestly it's the most counter-intuitive way possible of designing a menu, Someone "clever" has obviously "put a lot of thought into this", instead of just doing something normal people would do. Hence the issue described by the OP.
I'd agree that putting this button with a simpler style in the topic header instead of buttonlist would be not only cooler but more relevant. Other than that I disagree, all of the options are meaningful and relevant to the user.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Antechinus

Quote from: ColinJM on July 31, 2023, 07:33:23 PM
Quote from: shawnb61 on July 31, 2023, 12:05:56 AMThat particular menu entry is a little confusing, because it doubles as a display of your selection.  The benefit is you don't need to click on it to see your setting for that board or topic.  Your setting is already displayed.  Change it & see.
Hi Shawn,

I did - and it didn't change.
My suggestion (based on long experience): don't bother arguing with the team about it,and just recode it to suit yourself. :)

ColinJM

Quote from: Antechinus on August 01, 2023, 07:28:08 PMMy suggestion (based on long experience): don't bother arguing with the team about it,and just recode it to suit yourself. :)

I was arguing , merely exchanging a different view point that my Users raised and I agree. But yes, I take your point  ;) - where do I change itplease @Antechinus ?
Kind Regards

Colin

Antechinus

That's odd. I just ran a recursive search on the whole 2.1 install pack, and the only place that text string is found in in the language file itself. And yes, obviously I also checked for the code to call the actual text (ie: $txt['notify_board_1'] and $txt['notify_topic_1']). Those variables are not found in any file except index.english.php.

So... somehow they are being called in a sneaky manner. Not sure how, but someone will probably know. :)

ColinJM

Quote from: Antechinus on August 01, 2023, 08:11:28 PMThat's odd. I just ran a recursive search on the whole 2.1 install pack, and the only place that text string is found in in the language file itself. And yes, obviously I also checked for the code to call the actual text (ie: $txt['notify_board_1'] and $txt['notify_topic_1']). Those variables are not found in any file except index.english.php.

So... somehow they are being called in a sneaky manner. Not sure how, but someone will probably know. :)
Well thanks for your efforts anyway Ant...
Kind Regards

Colin

Antechinus

Aha. Found it. Sources/MessageIndex.php (also Display.php and Recent.php).

if ($context['can_mark_notify'])
$context['normal_buttons']['notify'] = array(
'lang' => true,
'text' => 'notify_board_' . $context['board_notification_mode'],
'sub_buttons' => array(
array(
'text' => 'notify_board_1',
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=notifyboard;board=' . $board . ';mode=1;' . $context['session_var'] . '=' . $context['session_id'],
),
array(
'text' => 'notify_board_2',
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=notifyboard;board=' . $board . ';mode=2;' . $context['session_var'] . '=' . $context['session_id'],
),
array(
'text' => 'notify_board_3',
'url' => $scripturl . '?action=notifyboard;board=' . $board . ';mode=3;' . $context['session_var'] . '=' . $context['session_id'],
),
),
);

God knows what they have done to turn that into the section header on mobile.

Kindred

The text changes to the current setting...as Shawn said it should

You don't want to change the notify_board_1 text string, since the also controls the setting itself and not just the heading which shows the current setting value
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Yes, we already know that, but the point is that his users are finding the default behaviour confusing, so the OP would like to recode it to have a normal, static section header. Which is perfectly fine, IMO. Obviously it will require using a different language string for the static header, but that's not a big deal.

Advertisement: