News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is there a way to archive boards/threads/topics?

Started by rcane, January 09, 2023, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

Or, is there just backing up the db?

Our group is shifting gears and as such a lot of boards need overhauled and trimmed of older topics and such.

I was just curious about options / techniques anyone has used.

I even thought about changing the access to some of the areas based on membergroup so folks couldn't see all the old stuff, but that's just more work setting that up. 

In a perfect world I'd be able to zip up a board and all its contents on the off chance I'd need to view them again someday.

Sir Osis of Liver

Create a new Archived Boards board, move old boards you want to save into the archive as child boards, make the parent board visible only to admins.  Individual topics can be moved from any active board into an archived board.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

DeadMan...

Quote from: rcane on January 09, 2023, 03:34:27 PMIn a perfect world I'd be able to zip up a board and all its contents on the off chance I'd need to view them again someday.

You can accomplish this just by setting said board visible only to Admins.
I tell it how I see it... Don't like it? Hit Alt+F4!

rcane

Thanks everyone.  That's where I suspected things were headed.

Should be relatively painless :)

rcane

Ok stupid question since it's been ages since I set up a category.

How are the categories blocked from specific member groups ?

Is it a specific setting for the category or is it by virtue that each board inside is off limits—making the category off limits?

I know I've done it—just can't find it.

Julius_2000

Go to Admin/Forum/Boards&Categories. There you can create & modify boards and also set permissions for each. If you want to hide one board, click on "modify" for the specific board and check/uncheck all the groups you want/ don't want have access to it.

Sir Osis of Liver

Yes, if you disallow all groups to view all boards in a category, only admins will see the category.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

or, to rephrase that ---
You only see categories which contain boards which you can see
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: