Password question

Started by clonexwinix, January 11, 2023, 09:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonexwinix

Hello good how are you? I have a question. I have a website that is managed with PHP but I want that when I change my user password it is also changed in the forum. I know how to do it but I don't understand what type of encryption SMF has. Because when I encrypt it with md5 it doesn't work for me it says they are different passwords. Some help? Thank you very much in advance.  :)

Kindred

Smf has not used md5 for over a decade...

And even when it did, the encryption is hashed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

clonexwinix

Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2023, 06:27:04 PMSmf has not used md5 for over a decade...

And even when it did, the encryption is hashed.
Thank you very much for answering. So what do you recommend? How can I change the password from an external app? What kind of encryption can I use?

Sesquipedalian

What you are asking for is more complicated than one might first expect. It can certainly be done, but it will require a non-trivial amount of custom code.

SMF provides various integration hooks that should be useful for such a project. But which ones to use and how to use them will depend greatly on (a) the software package that you want to integrate with, and (b) larger architectural considerations about how you want the relationship between the two software packages to be structured.

In all likelihood, your best bet would be to hire someone to write this custom code for you. The Help Wanted board on this site is a great place to find coders to do that sort of thing for you. (FYI, I am not available for hire.)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: