News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Test Mail

Started by Senkusha, February 02, 2023, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senkusha

When I use the Test Mail feature, where do I configure where to send the mail to?  I want to make sure my mail is actually sending.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Haven't actually checked, but I would assume it is sent to the configured webmaster email address.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

nc3man

I had the same question because I got the "Test successful" message but I did not receive an email at either the webmaster email address or SMTP username mail address used for authentication in Mail Settings. I was surprised there wasn't a TO: setting for the test email.

nc3man

I stand corrected. Email to my webmaster mail address was in my spam folder. doh!

Senkusha

I must have my mail configured wrong then.  I don't see any messages in my <username>@animerpgs.com.

Mail Type:  (PHP default)
SMTP Server:  smtpout.secureserver.net

SMTP Port:  25
SMTP Username:  <username>@animerpgs.com
SMTP Password *******************

When I test mail, it says successful.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade

shawnb61

Try adding ssl:// prior to the 'server' value in the SMTP server field.  E.g., "ssl://myhost.com"
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Senkusha

I don't think that worked.  I took a REALLY long time for the page to refresh, although it did finally say Successful, I have not received any emails in my webmaster box.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade

savo

If you are trying to use smtp, then the Mail Type should be set to SMTP.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Port 25 shouldn't really be used these days, do double check you have the right settings.
With ssl I'd really expect to see a port like 465, 587 or 2525. Port 25 is the default mail relay port and largely blocked everywhere.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Senkusha

I chatted with GoDaddy support last night and made the following settings.
You cannot view this attachment.

He also activated my SMTP setting within my mail account.  But today, I'm still getting the following errors:
You cannot view this attachment.

Is there something I'm missing?
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade

Steve

@Senkusha - a couple of things ... if it's feasible, get a new host. GoDaddy is pretty much despised around here because they cause more problems than they fix. I totally understand that sometimes getting a new host isn't an option for some people at a given time.

Secondly, this topic is marked solved so if you're still having trouble, please mark it unsolved so it doesn't get skipped over.  :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Senkusha

I could run my own server, unfortunately, it would have to run under a Windows 11 OS.  I do have access to a static IP.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade

Advertisement: