News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Filter options for members awaiting approval

Started by Julius_2000, February 05, 2023, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julius_2000

Hi all,

I'm just wading through a huge list of members (mostly spam bots) that haven't activated their accounts yet. Currently, there's only this limited option to handle lots of accounts at once which says: "With all members who registered longer than"

While this can do the job at times, It would be quite helpful if there was a filter option/ more fine-tunable input field that would let you specify a specific time period for which you want to do a certain action (approve, delete etc.). So instead of "longer than" it would be nice to let you select the dates like "from ... to" or "between ... and ...".
The ability to filter by year/month would also be greatly appreciated so I could filter through more recent ones instead of having to go through page by page.

What do you guys think? Doable? Not worth the hassle?

shawnb61

Note the existing admin member search has a lot of flexibility.  You can filter by activation status, id,  age, registration date, ip, name, email, etc., etc.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

savo

I use the Manage Members area to clean up accounts.  If you click on Search for Members, you can filter for forum members that are Not Activated.  Then toggle the very top check box to select all of them and then delete.

You can also clean up by going under the Search for area, I filter by Posts = 0 and Date registered > date.  Looking at the Last Online column, I delete the users that have Never been Online.  This might not be feasible for everyone.  I run a small forum for a local club so if they are not posting after a few months, then there is a high probability they are spammers for me and not part of the club.  All the club members are part of a club member group so this helps distinguish them as well.

Julius_2000

Thank you guys for the very helpful advice! One thing, though: I cleaned up the "awaiting approval" section but when I use the suggested filter option in "search members", I still get a load of non-activated accounts pulled. Do you happen to know why they were not in the aforementioned section as well?

Oh, and there's no column for activation status as well as registered date showing. It would be really helpful it there was so I couldn't get confused which of the members listed are/aren't activated yet or registered when (at least show a column if you filter by activation status).

savo

Do you have like hundreds or thousands?  I'm not able to duplicate but maybe it could be related to the number of search results being topped off at 100 so you would need to repeat until all deleted.

Julius_2000

We had over 1,4k non-activated accounts for some reason. Maybe they were leftovers from older SMF 2.0 versions

Quote from: savo on February 06, 2023, 10:52:21 AMI'm not able to duplicate but maybe it could be related to the number of search results being topped off at 100 so you would need to repeat until all deleted.
I can't say for sure if they were capped at 100 since there were several sites of results.

Advertisement: