News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problems with sceditor

Started by Col, February 21, 2023, 11:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col

Hi all,

I've posted a few times over the past few days, for the first time in a very long time. I have experienced several problems editing my posts here before actually posting them. If I need to go back earlier in the post to change something, the cursor immediately skips to the end of the line or sentence. The only workaround is to go back further, enter a return, edit the offending passage, and the remove the return. I think this has occurred three times in about ten posts.

I experienced similar problem with SMF 2, which is why I disabled it our forum. I will be upgrading to SMF 2.1 soon, and was looking forward to a properly functioning text editor for members. Looks like this is not the case.

Windows 10 and 11; Firefox.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Source view or wysiwyg?
Any browser addons that might affect page contents?
Windows 10 and FF here as well, no issues with the editor.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Col

Quote from: Aleksi on February 22, 2023, 10:38:27 AMSource view or wysiwyg?
Any browser addons that might affect page contents?
Windows 10 and FF here as well, no issues with the editor.
Hi @Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen. This computer is Windows 10, with two add-ons (both previously disabled).

I'm having the same problem AGAIN! I was about to edit the above sentence to add this as my initial comment: WYSIWYG.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, I avoid wysiwyg features myself so I'm always running in source view. This may go some length to explaining why I don't see the same behaviour - But it would be nice, if you tried a couple of things to narrow things down a bit.

One) Just empty your browser cache. Then do a hard refresh inside the topic, and see how the editor behaves after.
Two) If it still is not behaving, try turning off wysiwyg and see if the editor stops acting up.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Col

#4
OK. I did not clear my cache, but I an now in an Incognito window. I've also hard refreshed.

Some random thoughts for testing purposes: I have been a long-time user of SMF - since 2004. I disabled the WYSIWYG editor in SMF 2 because I found that too buggy; I think this one is even worse. I am about to upgrade to 2.1, but this is almost a killer. I mean, it will not stop me (since I am not using WYSIWYG is 2.0), but it does make me consider moving to another software.

The bug has not kicked in yet. It seems to occur in about a third of my posts. So, I might have give up on this test. But I'll continue to post using this incognito window and see what happens.

Kindred

well, we acknowledge that the WYSIWYG editor in 2.0 was sub-par...  but SCEditor is pretty mature and doesn't have all that many issues.

I can't see to reproduce your issue in my Win10/FF usage, but I'll recheck again.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Col


Hi @Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen.
Quote from: Kindred on February 22, 2023, 11:59:01 AMwell, we acknowledge that the WYSIWYG editor in 2.0 was sub-par...  but SCEditor is pretty mature and doesn't have all that many issues.

I can't see to reproduce your issue in my Win10/FF usage, but I'll recheck again.
Thanks, @Kindred. I'll keep trying.


TwitchisMental

#7
I can confirm when you go to edit a post the cursor starts at the end.. However I don't think that is a bug. That is just default behavior .

If I click somewhere earlier in the post while editing, it doesn't move or jump anywhere.  It stays where I clicked and allows me to edit. Using Windows 11 and OpenSuse with Firefox.

-------

Just for confirmation, are you saying if you click elsewhere in the post while editing, it jumps to the end again?

DeadMan...

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 11:09:14 AMI mean, it will not stop me (since I am not using WYSIWYG is 2.0), but it does make me consider moving to another software.

1. Most of the places I go to that has posting has about the same thing with cursor going to the end. Maybe because it loads the message and it just puts it at the end due to the loading. Who knows, and I do get the idea of the editor needing improvement, but that there is not enough of an issue.

2. If you feel that switching to another forum software is worth considering just because of the editor, then by all means, do so. However, you're more likely to find the same issues as well as others that you have not even considered yet.
I tell it how I see it... Don't like it? Hit Alt+F4!

Col

Quote from: TwitchisMental on February 22, 2023, 01:09:12 PMI can confirm when you go to edit a post the cursor starts at the end.. However I don't think that is a bug. That is just default behavior .

If I click somewhere earlier in the post while editing, it doesn't move or jump anywhere.  It stays where I clicked and allows me to edit. Using Windows 11 and OpenSuse with Firefox.

-------

Just for confirmation, are you saying if you click elsewhere in the post while editing, it jumps to the end again?

Exactly this. It is almost impossible to edit the post. It seems to affect parts of the post (I think). So, if I try editing a later sentence, it will or might work (I think). I'll have to wait until it happens again to be sure. I'd say that this happened in at least four of my posts here over the past few days. And, on two different computers.

(Apologies for the second thread. After a day, it seemed that my post here was not going to gain any traction.)

Col

Quote from: DeadMan... on February 22, 2023, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 11:09:14 AMI mean, it will not stop me (since I am not using WYSIWYG is 2.0), but it does make me consider moving to another software.

1. Most of the places I go to that has posting has about the same thing with cursor going to the end. Maybe because it loads the message and it just puts it at the end due to the loading. Who knows, and I do get the idea of the editor needing improvement, but that there is not enough of an issue.

2. If you feel that switching to another forum software is worth considering just because of the editor, then by all means, do so. However, you're more likely to find the same issues as well as others that you have not even considered yet.
As I just explained, this bug makes the editor (in WYSIWYG mode) practically unusable. When using the text editor in maybe a quarter or a third of my recent posts here, when I try editing some of the text I have already entered, the cursor immediately skips to the end of the text (or maybe sentence/paragraph). I had already disabled the text editor in my 2.0 forum for really buggy behavior - I was looking forward to providing members with a WYSIWYG editor which works (ne the whole, my members are not technically included, so dealing with tags is difficult for many of them). So, for this reason, I have to wonder if I should instead be looking to migrate rather than upgrade. (Since this is occurring on two different computers, with really standard setups, with different operating systems (Windows 10 & 11), it is difficult to imagine this bug only affecting me). I don't imagine it will come to me migrating to something else (after all, I could disable the editor in this version too), but it is frustrating (to me, at least) that the editor has major bugs in two different versions of this forum software.

For what it is worth, I've asked a few of my members to test out the editor here. Maybe it is just me being affected (on two different computers) for some unfathomable reason.

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: TwitchisMental on February 22, 2023, 01:09:12 PMI can confirm when you go to edit a post the cursor starts at the end.. However I don't think that is a bug. That is just default behavior .

If I click somewhere earlier in the post while editing, it doesn't move or jump anywhere.  It stays where I clicked and allows me to edit. Using Windows 11 and OpenSuse with Firefox.

-------

Just for confirmation, are you saying if you click elsewhere in the post while editing, it jumps to the end again?


(Apologies for the second thread. After a day, it seemed that my post here was not going to gain any traction.)
It is important to note that we are all volunteers here, so responses can take some time. This is especially true when it comes to bug reports because we try our best to confirm the issue. We can all understand the frustration, but let's work together to get this issue resolved(no matter the cause).

Since you do mention Firefox specifically, have you by chance tried any other browsers such as Edge or Chrome?

I noticed that you have also mentioned not having the issue(so far at-least) while using incognito mode. So this can possibly be a settings and/or addon issue.

Col

Of course I understand that you all here are volunteering your help. It is the same at my forum too. I was being impatient. I was also very frustrated because I was struggling get out many of posts here.

Two add-ons installed with FF on this computer, but both were already disabled. I've not noticed any problems in my last few posts (incognito mode). But if this is down to a corrupt file, it is distinctly odd (highly unlikely) that I was similarly affected on two different computers with two different operating systems, at the same time.

I'll try some better organised tests tomorrow to determine the cause or where/when the situation arises. No problem with this post either. (Again, in incognito mode - different cache).

Thanks, @TwitchisMental and all.

DeadMan...

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 03:00:03 PMAs I just explained, this bug makes the editor (in WYSIWYG mode) practically unusable. When using the text editor in maybe a quarter or a third of my recent posts here, when I try editing some of the text I have already entered, the cursor immediately skips to the end of the text (or maybe sentence/paragraph). I had already disabled the text editor in my 2.0 forum for really buggy behavior - I was looking forward to providing members with a WYSIWYG editor which works (ne the whole, my members are not technically included, so dealing with tags is difficult for many of them). So, for this reason, I have to wonder if I should instead be looking to migrate rather than upgrade. (Since this is occurring on two different computers, with really standard setups, with different operating systems (Windows 10 & 11), it is difficult to imagine this bug only affecting me). I don't imagine it will come to me migrating to something else (after all, I could disable the editor in this version too), but it is frustrating (to me, at least) that the editor has major bugs in two different versions of this forum software.

For what it is worth, I've asked a few of my members to test out the editor here. Maybe it is just me being affected (on two different computers) for some unfathomable reason.
I've used SMF, and others and have never had that issue.
But then again, I never use FireFox anymore, either.

(EDIT: Trying with FF, and not able to confirm any issue.)

If happening on 2 PC's with the same browser, you may have something that's synced between them, if you are logged into FireFox. Sounds like it's going to be mainly a FireFox issue, especially if not have addons enabled.

Edited: Testing FireFox. Able to edit with no cursor jumping.
I tell it how I see it... Don't like it? Hit Alt+F4!

Col

This is a test post, using the second computer - I have not cleared the cache or switched to incognito. It will be interesting to see if I can trigger similar errant behaviour from the text editor.

Nothing synched, between these two computers, @DeadMan...  I'll now try to edit the first paragraph - No problem this time!

As unlikely as it would seem, I guess the problem is at my end if no one else is experiencing behaviour. I'll keep investigating to see if I can determine any common factors.

Steve

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 04:49:34 PMAs unlikely as it would seem
As unlikely as it would seem to you, maybe, but the fact that others cannot duplicate your problem using the same OS and browser does, in fact, mean the problem is on your end.

You, in fact, proved it with this:

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 04:49:34 PMI'll now try to edit the first paragraph - No problem this time!

Marking this solved and moving to 'Fixed or Bogus Bugs'.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Diego Andrés

I'll keep testing this, so far no luck.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Col

Quote from: Steve on February 22, 2023, 07:06:02 PM
Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 04:49:34 PMAs unlikely as it would seem
As unlikely as it would seem to you, maybe, but the fact that others cannot duplicate your problem using the same OS and browser does, in fact, mean the problem is on your end.

You, in fact, proved it with this:

Quote from: Col on February 22, 2023, 04:49:34 PMI'll now try to edit the first paragraph - No problem this time!

Marking this solved and moving to 'Fixed or Bogus Bugs'.
I suggest that it proves nothing. As I have previously stated (more than once) the problem was always intermittent. And the reason I write 'improbable' is because the same problem is/was occurring on two different computers with two different OSs.

Col

Quote from: Diego Andrés on February 22, 2023, 08:26:06 PMI'll keep testing this, so far no luck.
I'll try some more systematic tests later today, not in incognito mode. If the bug reappears, I'll clearing the cache (again, not incognito) to rule our a corrupted file. It is still odd that it affects/affected two different computers.

Sesquipedalian

Hm... does it make a difference if the post contains a mention?
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: