Getting a 403 error when installing a new theme?

Started by rcane, March 20, 2023, 05:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

It's a new forum, so this is the first theme I've tried to add on.

Any ideas why this would be?

I can select the downloaded theme's zip file, but after install it does this.

The themes directory permissions are 755.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

403 is forbidden...seems like a server config thing,  probably htaccess
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rcane

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2023, 06:48:14 PMWhich theme?

Ant's mutant.

Oddly, I just picked a random one called "morning", and it DID install.

I'd been waiting on my host to address the 403 and wondered if another would work.  It did.

So, thinking they might have done something and hadn't emailed me yet, I tried Ant's again.

It failed.

I've installed his numerous times on several installs (temp installs, but installs nonetheless).  Not sure why this time has a hiccup.

Arantor

If there's a 403, that would presumably be in an error log somewhere that you could check...?

rcane

No error_log in the themes directory.

There was a single error in the root error_log, but I can't be certain it happened during the install attempt as the time stamp was an hour or so ago.

Cannot use [] for reading in /home/public_html/example.org/Sources/Load.php(2272) : eval()'d code on line 317

rcane

Quote from: Arantor on March 20, 2023, 07:28:16 PMIf there's a 403, that would presumably be in an error log somewhere that you could check...?

Not that I suspect anything, but currently I have two SMF installs in different domain folders off my home directory.

One (this current problem one) has an .htaccess file.  The original forum (the working one) doesn't. 

Steve

Quote from: rcane on March 20, 2023, 07:44:19 PMOne (this current problem one) has an .htaccess file.  The original forum (the working one) doesn't.
I have no clue if this has anything to do with anything but does it work if you remove the .htaccess file?
DO NOT pm me for support!

rcane

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2023, 08:07:50 PM
Quote from: rcane on March 20, 2023, 07:44:19 PMOne (this current problem one) has an .htaccess file.  The original forum (the working one) doesn't.
I have no clue if this has anything to do with anything but does it work if you remove the .htaccess file?

Not sure.  it only mentioned php versions and such.  I'll go back and see. 

Since this is a rushed job, I put 2.1 on (never fooled with it).  I'll solve the other problem after i get this up and running.

rcane

Mod Security on the cPanel.  Keeps flagging my ip and preventing access to things like installations.

Trying to learn why.  But, for now, shut it off during install and will turn on afterwards.

Arantor

Well, that's literally the job of mod_security: to observe requests being made to the server that would be potentially insecure. One that involves uploading actual PHP files to the server directly could easily fall foul of the rules depending on what your host has configured. If themes didn't contain raw PHP I suspect they would be less likely to do that.

rcane

Quote from: Arantor on March 20, 2023, 09:49:47 PMWell, that's literally the job of mod_security: to observe requests being made to the server that would be potentially insecure. One that involves uploading actual PHP files to the server directly could easily fall foul of the rules depending on what your host has configured. If themes didn't contain raw PHP I suspect they would be less likely to do that.

I need to take some time, read, and make some good questions for them as to how much it gets involved.

Or, I can just point to that the next time it runs afoul and turn it off until I'm done installing.

Advertisement: