Does editing/replacing files affect login status?

Started by Julius_2000, March 20, 2023, 08:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julius_2000

Hi, I've got one member of our forum who never logs out manually and just keeps being inactive when not browsing it. But every once in a while (several weeks+, it happened about 3-4 times now), he reports that he got logged out, even though the expiration time for sessions is set to "never".
I happen to notice that this some times somehow coincided with my editing/replacing of files while working on my theme - or at least the time frame fits.

So my question, could it somehow affect somebody's login status if I replace files like indexTemplate.php or index.css and the like?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Julius_2000 on March 20, 2023, 08:00:10 AMSo my question, could it somehow affect somebody's login status if I replace files like indexTemplate.php or index.css and the like?

That shouldn't affect it.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Some browsers will occasionally log out, possibly for security reasons.  Android FF does on my tab.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

And of course some browsers can drop long-life cookies out of privacy tracking related behaviours. The "forever" login is a long time.

But in general the only times that (normally) you'd get logged out with file changes are 1) you change the cookie name in Settings.php, or 2) you do the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 where the cookie content structurally changed (though 2.1 does try to preserve your cookie)

Julius_2000

Thanks for your replies!

Quote from: Kindred on March 20, 2023, 09:48:31 AMDoes the user have 2FA active?
Yes, he says that he does. Does that have an impact on anything?

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 20, 2023, 12:47:43 PMSome browsers will occasionally log out, possibly for security reasons.  Android FF does on my tab.
Quote from: Arantor on March 20, 2023, 01:06:21 PMAnd of course some browsers can drop long-life cookies out of privacy tracking related behaviours. The "forever" login is a long time.
Interesting. He reports that he only gets this with our forum while he can stay forever on other sites he's not logged out of manually without any issues.

Kindred

2FA will not allow a "forever" login.  I believe that it will require a re-login every month or two.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Julius_2000

Quote from: Kindred on March 21, 2023, 07:49:30 AM2FA will not allow a "forever" login.  I believe that it will require a re-login every month or two.
Is this SMF specific or in general? Because he says he doesn't encounter this anywhere else. But I'll tell him it could be a reason.

Kindred

I think it is a bug/feature specific to SMF...

We noticed it here a few months ago
Слaва
Украинi

Julius_2000

Ah, thank you. At least I can comfort him that it's not on his end and only happening at the forum. No biggie. Thanks!

Advertisement: