News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Giving moderators permissions to add sub-boards

Started by Jdo300, March 23, 2023, 12:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdo300

I have SMF 2.1.3 and want to give board moderators the needed permissions to create sub-boards within the boards they are moderating. Is this possible and if so, how do I set this up?

Sesquipedalian

It's not possible to do exactly what you are asking for. You can give the manage boards permission to a membergroup, but the permission applies across the entire forum. It cannot be scoped down to only a subset of boards.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Jdo300

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on March 23, 2023, 12:52:01 AMIt's not possible to do exactly what you are asking for. You can give the manage boards permission to a membergroup, but the permission applies across the entire forum. It cannot be scoped down to only a subset of boards.

Thank you that's helpful. However, that would be bad to give the moderators power to manage the whole forum. Do you know if there are any mods that enable this feature but only for specific boards?

DeadMan...

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on March 23, 2023, 12:52:01 AMIt's not possible to do exactly what you are asking for.

The answer is right there.
If not possible, then no, a mod won't be able to do it, either.
I tell it how I see it... Don't like it? Hit Alt+F4!

Arantor

Better question, what's the use case for people creating their own boards?

Jdo300

In this case, the moderators that are over certain boards are acting essentially as administrators. Each board is a sub-program or department, if you will, of an organization, and the moderators are essentially setting up and managing them. We wanted them to have the ability to structure their particular "department" under their own board, without having to have the administrators come in to change things. Good to know ahead of time that this isn't a baked-in feature of the forum.

Arantor

It's not a baked in feature of most forums, actually. IPS has a similar feature called Clubs but I'm not 100% sure it fits your use case either.

The main issue with something like this is that it inevitably doesn't get used beyond an initial experimentation phase, and people tend to abandon it, especially if they're in multiple clubs/groups/silos and each is configured a bit differently.

Do you expect to see a lot of change once set up?

Advertisement: