Embed chatGPT x SMF 2.1

Started by Edwar Colt, March 26, 2023, 06:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Which is why I gently suggested the XF plugin suite that is out there which has several different permutations of what can be done - precisely because the OP doesn't actually want to explain what he'd like to do with ChatGPT. Though I will suggest the use of a translator isn't helping.

shawnb61

Quote from: Kindred on March 26, 2023, 06:35:19 PMUses chatgpt TP DO WHAT????????

It might be fun to let forum members get in on the chatgpt action.  First thought is to set up a board for requests.

Like a bot.

I'd ask it to rewrite "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the voice of Kindred.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 26, 2023, 03:02:45 PMfundamentally to boost the generation of fixed content.

the moderators would have the gpt available to solve different problems and to produce content related to the forum.

would be of no use in the open discussion forum. it would be a basically administrative tool

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like your plans do not require any direct integration with the forum itself. You just want a way to give your moderators access to ChatGPT so that they can interact with it from your own website, as opposed to making them go to OpenAI's website.

In that case, I suggest that you do the following:

• Download one of the libraries that vbgamer posted about in his previous post.
  • Create a PHP file in your forum directory named something like "chatgpt.php".
  • Use SMF's SSI functions in chatgpt.php to load the SMF theme, user data, etc. You can find lots of information about doing this in the SSI section of the SMF Online Manual.
  • Use the library that you downloaded in step 1 to interact with ChatGPT in your chatgpt.php file. For help with that part, you will need to refer to the documentation for that library.
  • Use this mod to add a button to SMF's main menu for your moderators that will take them to your chatgpt.php page.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Quote from: shawnb61 on March 26, 2023, 06:53:44 PMI'd ask it to rewrite "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the voice of Kindred

Copy/pasting from my ChatGPT logs:

Arantor: Do you know who Kindred from Simple Machines Forum is?

ChatGPT: As an AI language model, I am aware of Simple Machines Forum (SMF) and Kindred's contributions to the development of the software. Kindred is the username of one of the lead developers of Simple Machines Forum. He has been a part of the SMF development team for many years and has contributed significantly to the development and maintenance of the software. He has also been an active member of the SMF community, providing support and assistance to users of the software.

Arantor: Rewrite "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the style of Kindred.

ChatGPT: I apologize, but it is not possible for me to rewrite "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the style of Kindred since Kindred is a developer of Simple Machines Forum and not a writer or literary figure. However, if you have any questions related to Simple Machines Forum or web development, I would be happy to assist you.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Arantor on March 26, 2023, 07:10:27 PMKindred is the username of one of the lead developers of Simple Machines Forum. He has been a part of the SMF development team for many years and has contributed significantly to the development and maintenance of the software.

I'm sure @Kindred will be interested to learn that he's a long-time member of the dev team. :laugh:

Seriously, this is just another demonstration of why it is a terrible idea to try to integrate this kind of AI into search engines and such. The ability to generate a better approximation of natural human language is not the same as understanding, let alone accuracy.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Diego Andrés

This one is my favorite, recently posted by bots here on this forum. It's asked about how to change the logo in X theme and it will post some random code instructions even if X has a theme setting for the URL? or how about this theme in particular having an image for default logo, there's no text  :laugh:

QuoteIn the SMF theme "Blue Bird", the large text at the top of the page is typically defined in the theme's template files. The location and name of the template files can vary depending on the theme you are using, but it is usually located in the "Themes" folder of your SMF installation.

Here is the typical path for the theme "Blue Bird" for example :

Themes/BlueBird/template/index.template.php

You can edit the template file using a text editor like Notepad or Sublime Text. Look for the line of code that defines the text at the top of the page. It should look something like this:

<div id="header">
    <h1>Blue Bird</h1>
</div>

Change the text "Blue Bird" to the text you desire.

Alternatively, you can also change the text by going to the SMF Administration Panel, Going to "Admin" -> "Themes and Layout" -> "Themes" -> "Edit Themes" -> "Edit Templates" and then looking for the template "index" and look for the <h1> tag and change the text there.

Make sure to save the changes and refresh your browser to see the updated text on your website.

Note that if you change the theme in the future, you will have to make this change again. You may want to consider creating a child theme or creating an override of the template so that your customizations are not lost when you update your theme.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Edwar Colt

It seems that the curiosity regarding what I intend to do with chatGPT in the forum was greater than the curiosity to discover a way to integrate with the openai system.

Friends, I really appreciate everyone's collaboration and interest in helping. I'm going to study all the possibilities that have been presented to me and see what I can do.

have a great day

Arantor

The reason is because the curiosity of what you intend to do directly shapes how it can be integrated!

Kindred

@Arantor - that's about the lebvel of stupidity I expect from the chatbot..

@Edwar Colt -- because form follows function. We need to know WHAT you plan to do (specifically) in order to suggest the best way to get it done.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Edwar Colt

It's just that specifically in this case, I couldn't imagine a way to use chatGPT that was different from the purpose for which it was created.

The idea is to have it as an extra tool for obvious purposes. The way it is already working, even with some limitations and security flaws, already meets my needs. - (in a topic where I can control members' access through group permissions)

The ideal, in my humble opinion, would be that the integration could be as I exemplified earlier, as a plugin for wordpress. however, of course I understand that the process would not be that easy.

Arantor

And here's why I ask.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/021-chatgpt-autoresponder-paid.212720/ - auto reply to first post in a topic, restricted to certain boards for automated help.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/021-ai-bots-paid.213210/ - exposes ChatGPT and Dall-E to prompts from the forum.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/021-chatgpt-spam-filter-paid.212715/ - using it to identify whether a post is likely spam or not.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/021-chatgpt-reply-assistant-paid.212733/ - helping to construct replies - I suspect this is nearest to your intended use case.

Edwar Colt

I didn't think to replace human interaction on the forums. I'm going to use it as I've described, as an auxiliary tool for writing simple texts, image prompts and basic coding..

Arantor

So that's still 1 and 4 off my list...

Edwar Colt

I understand that it will be impossible to escape the advancement of certain technologies. even if indirectly, they will be inserted in all contexts. we can create resistance bubbles, but outside of them, there they will be.

we can even conjecture about possibilities to minimize the consequences, but without the certainty that any effort we make will make any real difference.

or we can simply assimilate and try to control how these technologies will be used within what we understand as correct.

What other options?

Kindred

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMIt's just that specifically in this case, I couldn't imagine a way to use chatGPT that was different from the purpose for which it was created.

.... and what do **YOU** think that purpose is?  (Because I can guarantee, from your conversation so far, that YOUR conception of that purpose is very different from what I think it is)

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMThe idea is to have it as an extra tool for obvious purposes. The way it is already working, even with some limitations and security flaws, already meets my needs. - (in a topic where I can control members' access through group permissions)

Once again....   "obvious purposes"? ???
what *YOU* seem to think is "obvious" most definitely is not obvious to everyone else - otherwise we would not be asking!

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMThe ideal, in my humble opinion, would be that the integration could be as I exemplified earlier, as a plugin for wordpress. however, of course I understand that the process would not be that easy.

... and to tie in to Arantor's comments here...
WHICH plugin for WordPress? There are several... which do different things....

Here's the description of one plugin---
Quote-- Generate fresh and engaging content for your site
Are you looking to create content? What sort of content? posts? replies to posts? Why?

-- Explore the AI Playground for a variety of tools like translation, correction, SEO, etc
As discussed previously, SEO (as a specific targeted thing) for forums is basically useless
Correction of what?
Translation?

--Moderation AI for various tasks
Using the AI to moderate your forum?   That's a terrible, horrible idea.

-- Quickly brainstorm new titles and excerpts for your posts
Since posts on a forum are very different to posts in a blog, and there are no "excerpts" in a forum.

Here's another
Quote🔍Keyword-driven content generation
Forums are very different from blogs...

🔗URL-based content generation
Forums are very different from blogs....

💻Code blog generation
the code generated by ChatGPT is horrendous...

🔍SEO content rewriting

💬FAQ generation
Forums are very different from blogs.... Even if you do have an FAQ on your forum, it's easier and more accurate to WRITE the FAQ than to depend on the idiot-savant chatbot

💻E-Commerce SEO optimization
🔍Keyword-driven SEO optimization
Forums are very different from blogs.... SEO on forums is VERY VERY different

📝Blog outline creation
Are you looking to have the Chatbot Write content? Why? Forums are for people to contribute. Once again, forums are very different from blogs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Edwar Colt

Quote from: Kindred on March 27, 2023, 01:48:14 PM
Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMIt's just that specifically in this case, I couldn't imagine a way to use chatGPT that was different from the purpose for which it was created.

.... and what do **YOU** think that purpose is?  (Because I can guarantee, from your conversation so far, that YOUR conception of that purpose is very different from what I think it is)

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMThe idea is to have it as an extra tool for obvious purposes. The way it is already working, even with some limitations and security flaws, already meets my needs. - (in a topic where I can control members' access through group permissions)

Once again....   "obvious purposes"? ???
what *YOU* seem to think is "obvious" most definitely is not obvious to everyone else - otherwise we would not be asking!

Quote from: Edwar Colt on March 27, 2023, 07:54:26 AMThe ideal, in my humble opinion, would be that the integration could be as I exemplified earlier, as a plugin for wordpress. however, of course I understand that the process would not be that easy.

... and to tie in to Arantor's comments here...
WHICH plugin for WordPress? There are several... which do different things....

Here's the description of one plugin---
Quote-- Generate fresh and engaging content for your site
Are you looking to create content? What sort of content? posts? replies to posts? Why?

-- Explore the AI Playground for a variety of tools like translation, correction, SEO, etc
As discussed previously, SEO (as a specific targeted thing) for forums is basically useless
Correction of what?
Translation?

--Moderation AI for various tasks
Using the AI to moderate your forum?   That's a terrible, horrible idea.

-- Quickly brainstorm new titles and excerpts for your posts
Since posts on a forum are very different to posts in a blog, and there are no "excerpts" in a forum.

Here's another
Quote🔍Keyword-driven content generation
Forums are very different from blogs...

🔗URL-based content generation

💻Code blog generation
the code generated by ChatGPT is horrendous...

🔍SEO content rewriting

💬FAQ generation
Forums are very different from blogs.... Even if you do have an FAQ on your forum, it's easier and more accurate to WRITE the FAQ than to depend on the idiot-savant chatbot

💻E-Commerce SEO optimization
🔍Keyword-driven SEO optimization
Forums are very different from blogs.... SEO on forums is VERY VERY different

📝Blog outline creation
Are you looking to have the Chatbot Write content? Why? Forums are for people to contribute. Once again, forums are very different from blogs.

How much evil in this heart...

Let's get to the facts:

1 - my conception of the purpose of chatgpt is that it simply answers some questions in a way that can be used to speed up the production of texts and other small nonsense..

2 - definition of what is obvious to me regarding the proposed subject is defined in a question. - What can I do with chatgpt besides the possibilities I find available in it?

3 - regarding the wordpress plugin, I posted an example link, it's still in the topic. but basically, he inserts in the blog posts a chatboot gpt box through a bbc code [chat gpt] wherever the editor wants.

I'm really not really understanding the moral questioning of using this (in my opinion) - tool.

Kindred

Well, that's better.

At least you have finally answered the question.

There has been no "moral questioning"
There has been functional questioning.
As for why the resistance in general?  Well, because chatgpt is currently absolutely terrible and inaccurate - so using it to answer questions is more than likely going to provide an incorrect answer.
Using it to write posts pretty much guarantees garbage.

GIGO, donchaknow.
Слaва
Украинi

Edwar Colt

Now I understand the way they tried to drive this topic. It would have been easier if I had been asked at the beginning what my opinion was about chtGPT.

Yes, I agree that gpt is far from ideal. However, for things of little importance and to speed up small things, it can indeed contribute with some things.

Arantor

No, you clearly don't understand. I want to know in what ways the integration with ChatGPT should work, whether all users can access it, whether previous information should be fed into it, what temperature setting it should have, whether it needs a role prompt and what should be done with the output. As in, what you want to do with it so anyone who actually tries builds you the right thing!

There is no value judgement from me about whether it is good or bad.

Edwar Colt

It's much simpler than that, it would be similar to the way it's working in my test field. the wrong way, using an iframe.

the ideal: a box with the chat already logged in through the API in a topic through a bbc. type [chatgpt]
It's much simpler than that, it would be similar to the way it's working in my test field. the wrong way, using an iframe.

the ideal: a box with the chat already logged in through the API in a topic through a bbc. type [chatgpt]

who will access it will be at the discretion of the moderation through the control of existing permissions in the forum.

In terms of endings, the presentation would be pretty simple. The process would be in openai. the forum would only make this integration easier.

See, when I opened this topic, I did it more to see if anyone had already managed to integrate the system with version 2.1 or knew a different method than the one I used. just reread start. the mod "request" was more in terms of suggestion. I didn't officially post here in the modrequest sector, the topic was redirected here by moderation.

Yes, there is a value judgment regarding the use of the chat..

Advertisement: