News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bod22

Hi,

Perhaps someone here will help me with my problem.

I have some issues with PRO version.

In my opinion everything is related to perhaps javascript?

The mod works well apart from that it sometimes hides when I refresh the page, it doesn't show mentions @+nickname but its code instead, the quotation function doesn't look nice.

All these element when I point at them with a mouse have javascript ora javascript:void that's why I'm thinking it may be the problem?

I don't have any errors in SMF logs.

I use SMF 2.0.19 with PHP 8.0. I tested on lower PHP but the issue is the same. On SMF 2.1 mod works.

Any idea where to look? I know there is a helpdesk but the author decided to send me a refund instead of help but I really need this mod. I used older versions and my users are accustomed to it so I will do evertything to make it work properly. I guess it's not something serious. Perhaps my old 2.0.19 is missing something concerning java?

I know it's a paid mod but related to the one here. I used helpdesk but instead of help I got a quick refund and later info that the author   

Arantor

Quote from: bod22 on February 19, 2024, 12:41:32 PMwhy I'm thinking it may be the problem?

It's not, that's how JavaScript was originally written when this mod was originally written back in the mists of time. SMF itself has places where it still does that too.

But since I don't have the pro version (and no, please don't send it to me, I don't have a licence)... there's a limit to what we can do to help unless the free version has the same bug.

Note that the fact the author is giving you a refund is probably because *he* doesn't want to try to fix it either...

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: bod22 on February 19, 2024, 12:41:32 PMI use SMF 2.0.19 with PHP 8.0. I tested on lower PHP but the issue is the same. On SMF 2.1 mod works.
Why not upgrade to 2.1.4?  IIRC, Shoutbox Pro 1.4.9 works in 2.1 but has a bug, 1.5.0 works fine (have it running on three forums), haven't seen current version 2.0.4. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

bod22

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2024, 12:56:21 PMNote that the fact the author is giving you a refund is probably because *he* doesn't want to try to fix it either...

I know but as I said it's important for me to have it and these are rather minor issues... We'll see how it ends.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 19, 2024, 01:04:06 PMWhy not upgrade to 2.1.4?

I'd love to but I use the theme which is not compatible with SMF 2.1 ;/

It's difficult for me to explain the problem but e.g. the way how quotes look like is not as it should be.
When I try to look at it through devtools I don't have css file for it (I mean not only) but info "user agent stylesheet". It's always shown with this "javascript::coid(0)" elements but I don't know if it's related. 

BCK

should I uninstall this chat, since no one seems to be able to help with the error I'm getting? it was suppose to work with SMF 2.1.4 ...original post is #2899 one page back with the error I'm getting?

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have an earlier version of the mod?  If not, maybe you can ask Nibogo for one instead of refund.

- R. Waters

bod22

I have the old one. It works but it's a little bit outdated that's why I decided to upgrade this mod.

It may be something with styling. For example the quote is not well formatted. As if something was blocking proper display.

https://i.imgur.com/IRbSdNS.png

It should look like that

https://i.imgur.com/nuKmBrq.png

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

BCK

ANYONE, Plz Help
Quote from: BCK on February 15, 2024, 03:29:50 AMOK Here goes,,,after installing this chat, downloaded from here at smf mods,(shoutboxlite) once tested, it gives an error, then it also gives example of what to replace on line 317, so I wanted to know exactly what the change should be, and look like so I dont mess it up..I will attach screenshots of the error(attachment #1) , the line 317 it recommends and shows with the error(attachment#2)and my actual script/page showing the line 317 in server,(attachment#3)  and if someone can show me exactly what it should look like (line317) to be correct please,,if I leave whats there and add to it or delete anything etc,,would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

The preg_replace() error is because the Shoutbox version is old and doesn't support your current php version.  The free version on the mod site here is not the same as Shoutbox Pro.

- R. Waters

BCK

yes I  realize this, but it said it is working in smf 2.1.4 the old version of PHP is very old, and should have been thought of I would think, but it is what it is. I uninstalled and moved on to something that works for me,,thx

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 21, 2024, 12:16:20 PMThe preg_replace() error

For context, this error started being a warning in PHP 5.5, far enough back that I helped fix it in SMF 2.0 when I was still on the dev team. That's how old and unsupported this mod really is (but then again, if I remember rightly, this was originally the Hacks Park shoutbox rebranded)

BCK

I would think that when it was updated and said to work in smf 2.1.4, it would also be known that this conflict would be there as 2.1.4 isnt as old as this issue,,but it would frustrate people and maybe send them to purchase the Pro version, I honestly dont know why it would be put out as working with the newest smf 2.1.4 ? even if technically it does, when if someone is starting a new site with 2.1.4 on a server, this would definitely be a known issue? or at least let people know what version of PHP it would or wouldnt work with..just my humble opinion..could save some people the frustration and time installing and testing then uninstalling etc..if more details would be mentioned etc..

Arantor

This would have been a known issue for 10 years. SMF 2.0 fixed its uses of the old /e function in 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 in 2013.

Quote from: BCK on February 22, 2024, 03:05:35 PMor at least let people know what version of PHP it would or wouldnt work with

That requires *effort*.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on February 22, 2024, 02:14:13 PMThat's how old and unsupported this mod really is
In fairness to Nibogo, the more recent versions of Shoutbox Pro, back to at least 1.4.9, support php 8.0.  OP must have a very old version on his forum.  The free version here is supposed to be updated for SMF 2.1 (haven't tried it).

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Shoutbox Lite v2.0, current free version on mod site, installs and works fine in 2.1.4, not logging any errors.  Don't know if it inherits content from Pro version.

- R. Waters

BCK

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 22, 2024, 04:45:35 PMShoutbox Lite v2.0, current free version on mod site, installs and works fine in 2.1.4, not logging any errors.  Don't know if it inherits content from Pro version.

no idea, but as I posted earlier it gave me errors, screen shots of them were included, it technically worked, but if any chatting the errors were numerous to say the least...lol and I did contact developer and lets just say in the end i uninstalled. not blaming anyone or anything, just thought it would be nice if what PHP it will or wont work with was mentioned it might save some people a little time etc...zero errors since removed? hopefully fixed/updated in the future..for others as it is a nice chat..

elvar777

Hi

I installed Shoutbox Lite 2.0 to SMF 2.1.4 and it works fine, but gives sometimes errors in log. I'm not able to track, when errors appear. It's not very often, but still, bit annoying.

Error message:
2: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given.

Says that error is from:
Subs-Shoutbox.php on line 33

Whitch is:
    {
        // Verify
        $show = Shoutbox_Settings('showActions');

// Actions where it should be shown
        $actions = explode(',', $show);

// Verify
        if (!in_array(strtolower($action), $actions) && !in_array('everywhere', $actions))
            return $action;
    }

Any ideas?

Sir Osis of Liver

We're running Shoutbox Pro 1.5.0 here and on two other forums in php 8.0.

- R. Waters

BCK

Quote from: elvar777 on February 26, 2024, 10:28:40 AMHi

I installed Shoutbox Lite 2.0 to SMF 2.1.4 and it works fine, but gives sometimes errors in log. I'm not able to track, when errors appear. It's not very often, but still, bit annoying.

Error message:
2: strtolower() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given.

Says that error is from:
Subs-Shoutbox.php on line 33

Whitch is:
    {
        // Verify
        $show = Shoutbox_Settings('showActions');

// Actions where it should be shown
        $actions = explode(',', $show);

// Verify
        if (!in_array(strtolower($action), $actions) && !in_array('everywhere', $actions))
            return $action;
    }

Any ideas?
not sure what that error is, but it has issues with the newer PHP, it is an old version of a chat from what I understand and it has been updated to some degree but not compatible with modern server setup (PHP) being used,,and seems as per post from Sir Osis Of Liver mentioning the Pro version, the goal is to get people to use the Pro version, Which is not Free..( which has nothing to do with this support thread), ..as it seems different issues occur with the lite version of the chat on here, Maybe someone can address your actual error?

Advertisement: