News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Creating a dev site to test 2.1.3 upgrade

Started by user58389239, April 25, 2023, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user58389239

Hi,
We've never had a dev site before; we've generally done upgrades on production. However we need to do a larger upgrade from 2.0.19 to the latest version, so I want to set-up a dev site for it.

I have WHM/cPanel at my host. I thought it would be as simple as creating a new WHM cPanel account and following the "Move to a different host" instructions, to copy production to dev site at a subdomain.
Is that the correct procedure, or is there anything special I should be aware of?

Kindred

You don't need to create a new account, just a new directory or subdomain-- and a second database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lather

I would like to create a dev site also to test the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. I see that phpMyAdmin has an operation to copy a database. Is that the way to go? Anything else I need to know?

user58389239

Quote from: Kindred on April 25, 2023, 07:25:24 PMYou don't need to create a new account, just a new directory or subdomain-- and a second database

Thanks, Kindred. I want to replicate production as closely as possible...sounds like I can do this easily by copying the directory files and the database, and then just running repair_settings.php to point everything to the new URL/subdomain?

Kindred

And the new database...   but yes, that
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

user58389239

I'm wondering if you guys could help me understand what I'm doing wrong. Somehow I am affecting production when working on setting up the dev site. Here are the steps I took, can you help me out?

1. Created a new site on WHM for dev.site.com
2. Restored backup from Production: files, folders & database
3. Changed database name and created new dev database user
4. Loaded repair_settings.php on the dev site, and navigated to dev.site.com/repair_settings.php
5. Changed all paths and database to the new info.

After doing step #5, for some odd reason the production site changed some of the URLs to dev (for example the theme completely broke). I don't understand how this would even be possible. I am completely perplexed.

Kindred

You need to change the database details and then save....

Then change the theme and avatar directories.... otherwise those will be saved to the OLD (aka production) database
Слaва
Украинi

user58389239

Yeeeaaaahhhhh ... that makes sense now. Man I should have thought of that. Now I know for next time!

Steve

Are you all set then? (If so, just click the green 'MARK TOPIC SOLVED' button.)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: