News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unexpected ban IP range format changes

Started by Cypheros, May 05, 2023, 05:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypheros

Hi,

using SMF 2.1.3 but have trouble to add an IP range to the ban list. If I use the format that has been common so far, like 192.168.10-20.* , I get an invalid range of 192.168.10.0-20.255.255.255

I have to use 192.168.10.0-192.168.20.255 now. Is that a bug or on purpose?

Cypheros

Ok, no one uses bans, obviously.
Had to clear my whole ban list, as innocent users were banned. Such things should not happen. Being disappointed about that and that the support leaves me in the rain.

Steve

Quote from: Cypheros on May 10, 2023, 07:19:50 PMsupport leaves me in the rain.
We are extremely short-handed in all areas so please be patient with us.

Flagging @shawnb61 for input.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Cypheros

Thanks for your quick reply and your support.

Sorry, did not mean to be rude. I had to delete the entire ban list in desperation and feared that my forum will be flooded again by spammers. The ban list had grown over the last 10 years and I could not find the ban entry, responsible for the trouble with the registration of new members. By the way it would be helpfull, if the ban log would show the ban rule that was responsible for the ban. Or is there a way to find that out?

To my surprise, there were no additional spammer registrations. reCAPTCHA verification is better then expected and a long ban list is no longer needed to keep out the bad guys.

So there is no need for a quick solution anymore and you can take your time.

I love your great software and have been using it for more than 10 years. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Quote from: Cypheros on May 11, 2023, 09:54:47 AMSorry, did not mean to be rude.
I didn't take your post that way so no worries.

Btw, the key to keeping spammers out are the questions. Build a pool of 20-30 questions and ask 2 or 3 at registration. Rotate them out occasionally ... see this post:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: