News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Donations Mod

Started by mickjav, May 05, 2023, 08:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickjav

I'm working on what I call A Concept for a Donations Mod,

One of the things I can't decide on is:

I was thinking of adding a list that members could see, which would show how much is spent on the site I.E. Hosting, Development, Graphics Etc.

The idea is if visitors can see what's being put into the site, especially on making the site better with additions/improvements to features, they may feel more inclined to help and donate.

Ideas thoughts??

All the best mick

Diego Andrés

Visitors would probably prefer to see 'most' of the information, that way they can understand how it works and why the site could use help.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

landyvlad

I don't have a mod for that but I do have a thread explaining those things and the various monthly costs.
That way (unlike the previous iteration of the forum) people can see the money is going to the forum upkeep and not just into the admins pockets.

Which in turn makes it more likely they donate.

Rather than have a 'donate' button I just put a call out every year and for those who donate they gate a 'Donating Member 2023 (for example) custom text under their avatar.

I don't have any special contents or benefits for them - all members can see the forum boards and don't miss out. 

That's the way I do it anyway, in case it helps :) 
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Sir Osis of Liver

The old treasury mod is running here, you can see how and which info is displayed.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mickjav

I've started putting this mod together, But still have a bit to work out before coding starts.

https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/support/index.php?topic=161.0

We haven't decided on a name for the mod Donations Mod, just seems too yucky, so I am asking for your thoughts post a reply with your idea

Also while I'm at this stage if you can't see a feature you think may benefit the mod I'm more than happy to look at it, but can't guaranty it'll make it into version 1.

All the best mick

mickjav

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 07, 2023, 06:21:23 PMThe old treasury mod is running here, you can see how and which info is displayed.

Thanks looks like that's running on 2.1.3 any chance it'll be made into a mod as would save me a job lol.

Also, creating a block for ezportal or tiny portal is a good idea and looks nice, I'll have to add an option for menu link or a block should be able to tell which is being used.

Additionally, haven't a clue how to set up getting info from PayPal, have to look for an API on their site?

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Shades.

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on April 29, 2023, 05:50:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 28, 2023, 01:45:38 PMIt's a GNU license, if I understand correctly it's ok to modify and share the code for free.

That is correct.
:D  :P
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

mickjav

I've made a start on what I'm calling pledges, sorted file system and basic page.

I've got a lot of learning to do which at 60 can be a little bit slow lol

Expect Errors?
https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/testing/index.php?action=pledge;area=pledge;sa=index

the concept for mod
https://www.databasedreams.co.uk/support/index.php?topic=161.0

Now gotta keep the misses happy and do washing up/Cleaning lol

mickjav

Got it adding Pledges don't know if anybody can help with the below I've tried a number of classes, but it either pushes the donate section down to near the pledge form or as it is.

The red line shows what's driving me nuts, lol

You cannot view this attachment.

mickjav

Completed, the first section adding, Confirming & deleting pledges but can't decide on one thing

that being the members post count at present I've set it with the calculation $Points but not sure if i should leave as 1 or set a separate amount from that applied to the STShop

I.E.
Add separate setting for apply points to post count.
I don't really want to add a separate calculation like that below.

As I use STShop I have created a points' calculator that uses the below

/*
        Add The posts And Shop Points If Installed
        Devide The Amount By pledges_points_per_multiply_for
         */
        //Make sure of whole number
        $pledge_amount = (int) $pledge_amount;
        if ($pledge_amount >= $modSettings['pledges_points_per_multiply_for'])
            //if default amount is £10 and payment is £10 or £11 this will be 1, £20 will be 2
            //Rounds Down
            $pledge_for = (int) $pledge_amount / $modSettings['pledges_points_per_multiply_for'];
        else
            $pledge_for = 1;

$Points = $modSettings['pledges_points_per_multiply'] * $pledge_for;

$Points = (int) ($modSettings['pledges_points_per'] * $Points);

// Update the SMF Shop Points
        if ($modSettings['pledges_use_stshop'])
            $shop_points = ',shopMoney = shopMoney + ' . $Points;

$smcFunc['db_query']('', "UPDATE {db_prefix}members
                SET posts = posts + " . $Points . $shop_points ."
                WHERE id_member = " . $row['member_id'] . "
                LIMIT 1");

Advertisement: