News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

upgrading to 2.1.3 stalls...

Started by SeduzioneItaliana, May 09, 2023, 09:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeduzioneItaliana

hi dear friends, after two days whitout sleeping, i'm trayng to update my forum on wamp.
But, when i tray to update, the update stalls.
The updater says:
Esecuzione: "Adding support for alerts" (15 di 71 - of this script)
and stalls. that's the third time i tray. After 40 minutes, i suppose that the program it's freezed.

Wampserver 3.2.0
Apache 2.4.34
PHP 7.4
MYSQL 5.7.23

Upgrading from a fresh installation (functioning) and database upgraded from 1.1.21

Thanks for everybody want help me.

Sir Osis of Liver

Was forum language set to english before you started?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

I don't think that english was set as default, as the upgrader page seems to be in italian.

Sir Osis of Liver

Has the language problem been fixed, or is it not fixable?

- R. Waters

SeduzioneItaliana

Sorry Sir, putting italian as language is a problem upgrading? I do not understand...
my proc:
i put the upgrade file and the italian file in the main directory (where are the directories themes, sources etc).
I decompress the upgrade and after the language file.
I open the browser and call repair_settings.php to set all.
i launch upgrade.php.
The upgrade asks some details, and starts.
arrived at:
'eyJpZCI6IjExNDI1IiwibmFtZSI6IlRlcm1ZbmF0b3IiLCJwYXNzIjo1MTQ4NSwic3RhcnRlZCI6MTY4Mzc0NjUzNywidXBkYXRlZCI6MTY4Mzc0NjU1NywidmVyc2lvbiI6IjIuMSBkZXYwIiwic3RlcCI6Mywic3Vic3RlcCI6MTA0LCJza2lwX2RiX3N1YnN0ZXBzIjpmYWxzZSwibWFpbiI6MH0=';

the upgrade process locks. That's all...

SeduzioneItaliana

New attempt.
i extract the firs database update (maded on the server) who don't live me stay connected.
I install from scratch a 2.1.3 forum, i tray it, and i import my first database.
The forum don't starts and reports:

"SMF file version (2.1.3) does not match SMF database version (2.1 dev0).
Run the SMF upgrader to fix this.
More information."

Now i will install a fresh copy of 2.1.0 import database a see waths appens

Sir Osis of Liver

The 2.1 upgrader hasn't worked in languages other than english.  You'll need to restore the original forum, set language to english, then run upgrade.php.  The upgrade must be started from beginning, not resumed where it left off.

- R. Waters

SeduzioneItaliana

AH! Thank you very much. I will do a new attempt...

shawnb61

Just...  For the record...

The SMF upgrader runs fine in other languages.  As long as you have downloaded the language pack for that version of SMF, and copied the files over.  Which looks like was done here - as the upgrader was properly displaying Italian.  There is no indication of a language issue above.

When folks have problems, I suspect they are trying to run the 2.1 upgrader without updating the language pack to the corresponding version.  But you cannot run old language files with new code.  (Most upgrader strings were hard-coded in English before 2.1...)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SeduzioneItaliana

I put english as default language, but the upgrade don't start.
the updater sayd:

"The directory: c:\wamp64\seduzioneitaliana.com\forum\avs has to be writable to continue the upgrade. Please make sure permissions are correctly set to allow this.
Click here to try again."

The folder it's writable...
I don't have idea for what to do...

SeduzioneItaliana

I tray to empty thte avs directory, cancel it or create a new one, and the result it's the same: the upgrade asks for an avs writable. Thats way, it is evident that the problem is not the writability of the directory, but something else. What can it be?

shawnb61

If the folder truly exists, my first suggestion here would be to remove the ".com" from the foldername.  That looks like it might cause a problem. 

Also, don't forget to run repair_settings.php before running the upgrader, and confirming all urls and folders are correct. 

The upgrader can ONLY work on a working, properly configured forum.  Invalid urls/folders cause issues.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SeduzioneItaliana

Thank you shawnb61, but it's so strange.
I worked on the skin for many days with this wamp configuration. I have to change all in the apache documentation to get off the .com.
Everyway, i do it immediatly.
Thank you.

shawnb61

Technically, it is legal, but generally discouraged.

I've never tried such a configuration.  It's the only thing that looks unusual to me.

SeduzioneItaliana

Nothing to do. Same situation, same message, but whitout .com
Any  ideas?

SeduzioneItaliana

Another thing... I cant' use repair settings from PHP 8.
I have to use it in PHP 5.3.28.
When i set up php 8, il i tray to open repair_settings.php e can reaf e loto of errors . I post a screenshot.

It's normal?

Notice: Undefined index: database_error in C:\wamp64\www\seduzioneitaliana\forum\Sources\Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 707
Call Stack
#   Time   Memory   Function   Location
1   0.0060   682560   {main}( )   ...\repair_settings.php:0
2   0.0270   952688   show_settings( )   ...\repair_settings.php:248
3   0.0360   1065536   guess_attachments_directories( )   ...\repair_settings.php:768
4   0.0360   1066208   smf_db_query( )   ...\repair_settings.php:886
5   0.0370   1066288   smf_db_error( )   ...\Subs-Db-mysql.php:494

( ! ) Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function allowedTo() in C:\wamp64\www\seduzioneitaliana\forum\Sources\Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 708
( ! ) Error: Call to undefined function allowedTo() in C:\wamp64\www\seduzioneitaliana\forum\Sources\Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 708
Call Stack
#   Time   Memory   Function   Location
1   0.0060   682560   {main}( )   ...\repair_settings.php:0
2   0.0270   952688   show_settings( )   ...\repair_settings.php:248
3   0.0360   1065536   guess_attachments_directories( )   ...\repair_settings.php:768
4   0.0360   1066208   smf_db_query( )   ...\repair_settings.php:886
5   0.0370   1066288   smf_db_error( )   ...\Subs-Db-mysql.php:494

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

SeduzioneItaliana

Yes, thank you.
i'trayng upgrade to version 2.0, but it stalls again...
It's unbelievable: the forum runs whitout problems, but it seems impossible ti upgrade...
Thera are somne tests i can do to understand if my versions are correct and right?

shawnb61

My first suspicion is that there are conflicts between php, mysql & various smf version files.  This can happen if you attempt upgrades, e.g., and have overwritten some of the files. 

So the sequence of events is very important...

I just performed the following with a 1.1 database backup I had.  I also use wampserver for test (everything 64-bit), so this matches your environment. The screenshots below are from upgrading 1.1 to 2.1, under php8.2, using wampserver, using Italian language files:

1.  Start with a clean slate - ***NO FILES***
2.  Start with PHP8.2, mysql 5.7
3.  Restore forum smf1.1 files - there should ONLY be 1.1 files in the file system
4.  Restore forum smf1.1 DB
5.  Repair_settings.php - (it should say it's working in smf1.1) pay special attention to themes, avatar & attachment folder & url names
6.  Extract smf 2.1.3 upgrader files
7.  Extract smf 2.1.3 italian language files
8.  Run upgrader - turn debug mode on when prompted

If it fails it should be OK to run it again.

If it fails again, in the middle of the db updates...  Run it in CLI mode - at the command prompt, e.g., "php upgrade.php".

The CLI version is far better at providing specific error messages than the browser version.

The most common types of issues encountered are:
 - Custom DB changes causing issues, e.g., folks adding columns without default values, OR, folks removing columns.
 - Corrupt data.  Older versions of mysql & php could put malformed utf8 out there, which is very problematic & needs to be cleaned up.  SMF 2.1 runs in STRICT mode, which will STOP EVERYTHING rather than update a record with corrupted data.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

SeduzioneItaliana

Thank you very much shawnb61 for your interest and for the time you are spending for me.
I will retry immediatly.

Advertisement: