Attachments Folder is Filled

Started by Donna Zorn, May 03, 2023, 07:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna Zorn

Hello,  I received this email from my Doe Network Forum;

Donna Zorn,

The attachments folder at The Doe Network is almost full. Please visit the forum to resolve this problem.

Once the attachments folder reaches it's maximum permitted size users will not be able to continue to post attachments or upload custom avatars (If enabled).

Regards,

What should I do here?

Sesquipedalian

Go to Administration Center » Attachments and Avatars » File Maintenance and use the pruning functions to remove old attachments.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Or make the attachment folder bigger; the default is very small (10MB if memory serves) and just giving it more room is probably fine too.

Sir Osis of Liver

Or you can add a new attachments directory in attachment settings, if the one you're currently using contains a lot of files (10,000+).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

No, I think the error is about the total amount of space used.

a10

Assuming op got enough general server capacity available.

My setup, max folder space Okb (= no limit).
Adding new attachments folders at around +\- 5000 files\folder.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

Does 2.1 automatically add directories when certain capacity is reached?  Vaguely remember that was discussed here.  Most ftp servers are configured to display 9998 files maximum, can't see any more than that unless you use SSH.  Makes it difficult to manage files, and loading 10,000+ files in cpanel is usually an exercise in futility.

- R. Waters

Illori

yes SMF 2.1 can create new attachment folders based on options selected in the admin panel.

Sir Osis of Liver

I see it now.  Was looking in Attachment Directories, not Attachment Settings.  That should be default, I've worked on several forums that had 20-30k files in main directory, and they never backed up because it was several gb and took too long.

- R. Waters

Donna Zorn

Thanks to all!  I set the Max attachment folder space to 0kB and that worked.

Advertisement: