News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Random topic

Started by jjson, April 27, 2023, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjson

How do I have users redirected to a random topic when they click on a menu called "random topic?" Every time a new random topic should be shown.

Arantor

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: jjson on April 27, 2023, 11:54:37 PMHow do I have users redirected to a random topic when they click on a menu called "random topic?" Every time a new random topic should be shown.

Is that menu added by a custom mod? You should give us more details.

jjson

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 28, 2023, 05:10:26 AM
Quote from: jjson on April 27, 2023, 11:54:37 PMHow do I have users redirected to a random topic when they click on a menu called "random topic?" Every time a new random topic should be shown.

Is that menu added by a custom mod? You should give us more details.

I'd like to add a text in the upper menu, let's call it Random Topic, and when it's clicked on I want the user to be redirected to a random topic in the forum. Every time a user clicks on this link, the topic they're redirected to changes.

Arantor

And what version of SMF? You originally opened this in the 1.1 board...

jjson

Quote from: Arantor on April 28, 2023, 01:34:25 PMAnd what version of SMF? You originally opened this in the 1.1 board...

That would be the 1.1.21

Arantor

It has been a long long time since I programmed for 1.1. Worst of all I even need to know which theme you're using because in 1.1 menu buttons are hardcoded into the theme.

Before I go any further and dig out the relevant code for 1.1 - do you have any plans to upgrade? I ask because SMF 1.1.x has long since been declared end of life, isn't getting patches for known security upgrades and doesn't support PHP 5.6 let alone a version that isn't 5 years old and long since no longer getting security patches.

Kindred

1.1.x is end of life. Upgrade ASAP
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: